What Type of Project / Control / ActiveX do I need? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1511395129 posted

I'm developing some web software and at one point, I need to access a file on the customer's computer (with their permission, of course).  It's not something that can be uploaded to the server.  My initial thought was to make an ActiveX control, but it appears that those aren't available in VB.NET.  I then started looking into a Windows Library Control.  I'm having trouble getting that working, but it appears that even if I did get it working, it would only work in Internet Explorer.  Is there something I can create in VB.NET that will allow me local access to a file on the customer's computer that will work in both Internet Explorer and FireFox?

Thanks,

Dan 

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:05 AM

Answers

• User-1511395129 posted

bummer... someone on another forum suggested Silverlight... I'm going to just opt for a little helper application that the person downloads that uses web services to talk back to the server.

Thanks! 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:38 PM

All replies

• User-667042492 posted

hi,

what kind of file do you access from client computer?

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:34 AM
  • User-1511395129 posted

It's a QuickBooks file.  I'd be using the QuickBooks SDK... that's why I can't just upload the file to the server.  Between permissions and the size of the file, it just won't work.  Really looking for a cross-browser solution.  If not, then I guess I'll have to go with an IE only solution.  Problem is that while I've done both Windows and Web VB.NET programming, I've never done anything with the "in between" so I'm pretty much lost as to what kind of project I need.

Thanks,

Dan 

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:51 PM
  • User-16411453 posted

I think those days are gone, because of malicious code.  That's why it's not available in ASP.Net anymore. Times are changing, and the amount of malicious code out there seems to be increasing.  Even if you do pull it off, that will haunt you later down the road if your site gets hacked, and something else gets downloaded to your users computer.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:27 PM
  • User-1511395129 posted

bummer... someone on another forum suggested Silverlight... I'm going to just opt for a little helper application that the person downloads that uses web services to talk back to the server.

Thanks! 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:38 PM