none
HOWTO run a select statement off a DataTable. RRS feed

• Question

• HOWTO run a select statement off a DataTable.

Please help,

I want to take a given string which is a select statement like "select COL_1, COL_2 from MyDataTable where COL_3 like '%TEST%'" against a given DataTable object.

I am awar of the method "Select" but this is not the same thing that I am seeking. I want to keep my query as a string, and some how pass it to something like a "OleDbCommand" object and run the "ExecuteReader". If I could this is what I would like:

Given: DataTable DataTable_MyDataAllSetup;

OleDbConnection_Temp = new OleDbConnection(~~~ some how point to DataTable_MyDataAllSetup ~~~);
                OleDbConnection_Temp.Open();

OleDbCommand_Temp = new OleDbCommand
                (
                  "select COL_1, COL_2 from MyDataTable where COL_3 like '%TEST%'",
                  OleDbConnection_Temp
                );

OleDbDataReader_Temp = null;
                OleDbDataReader_Temp = OleDbCommand_Temp.ExecuteReader();

while (OleDbDataReader_Temp.Read())
                {
                  // Do stuff...
                }

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:14 PM

Answers

• This is impossible. The DataTable is an in-memory representation of data. The OleDbCommand and OleDbDataReader work on databases on a database server (or other external things like Excel spreadsheets). The two are totally un-related.

If you've already got data in a DataTable, use the DataTable.Select() ... plain and simple. If you need to get data from the database, that's when you'd use the OleDb stuff.

~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Monday, September 26, 2011 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my understanding, it looks that you would like to query DataTable with LIKE keyword. If I'm correct, I suggest you can check the following information.

1. You should set your DataTable as Enumerable. You can code like the following.

dataTable.AsEnumerable();

2. You can use Linq to Object to query and filter DataTable. You can check the following code sample.

public void QryDataTable(DataTable table) {
          var productNames = from products in table.AsEnumerable() select products.Field<string>("ProductName");
          Console.WriteLine("Product Names: ");
          foreach (string productName in productNames) {
             Console.WriteLine(productName);
          }

Please check here for more information about Linq to Objects. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397919.aspx

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:52 AM

All replies

• This is impossible. The DataTable is an in-memory representation of data. The OleDbCommand and OleDbDataReader work on databases on a database server (or other external things like Excel spreadsheets). The two are totally un-related.

If you've already got data in a DataTable, use the DataTable.Select() ... plain and simple. If you need to get data from the database, that's when you'd use the OleDb stuff.

~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my understanding, it looks that you would like to query DataTable with LIKE keyword. If I'm correct, I suggest you can check the following information.

1. You should set your DataTable as Enumerable. You can code like the following.

dataTable.AsEnumerable();

2. You can use Linq to Object to query and filter DataTable. You can check the following code sample.

public void QryDataTable(DataTable table) {
          var productNames = from products in table.AsEnumerable() select products.Field<string>("ProductName");
          Console.WriteLine("Product Names: ");
          foreach (string productName in productNames) {
             Console.WriteLine(productName);
          }

Please check here for more information about Linq to Objects. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397919.aspx

Thanks,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:52 AM