Migrating to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express from SQL Anywhere 11.0 database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone i have got a project to migrate from SQLAnywhere 11 to any new relational databases for our ship crew web application.The reasons for migrating is cost and support issues.I will need to choose a database which is free and has all features as SQLAnywhere 11.0.

Here is the list of Questions i want to know about SQL Server 2008 R2 express.

1. Do we have any migration utility to move from SQL Anywhere 11 to SQL Server 2008 R2 express.
    2. How easy is deployment of SQL Server 2008 R2 express from install shield MSI.
    3. Alternative methods to migrate from SQLAnyhere 11 to SQL server 2008 R2 express.
    4. Do management tools come free with express addition. I should be able to defragment and restore the database.

Thank you

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Ram,

If SSMA does not support for SYBASE SQL Anywhere 11.0, could you please try to use the Import Wizard by selecting the data source "Sybase SQL Anywhere 11.0"?
    Please refer to more details from this online document ADO Connection Strings.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, July 22, 2011 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:59 AM

All replies

• Hello everyone i have got a project to migrate from SQLAnywhere 11 to any new relational databases for our ship crew web application.The reasons for migrating is cost and support issues.I will need to choose a database which is free and has all features as SQLAnywhere 11.0.

Here is the list of Questions i want to know about SQL Server 2008 R2 express.

1. Do we have any migration utility to move from SQL Anywhere 11 to SQL Server 2008 R2 express.
    2. How easy is deployment of SQL Server 2008 R2 express from install shield MSI.
    3. Alternative methods to migrate from SQLAnyhere 11 to SQL server 2008 R2 express.
    4. Do management tools come free with express addition. I should be able to defragment and restore the database.

Thank you

• Merged by KJian_ Monday, July 18, 2011 1:09 AM duplicate
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:24 PM
  •  

>>1.Do we have any migration utility to move from SQL Anywhere 11 to SQL Server 2008 R2 express.

The free Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Sybase v5.0
    provides a set of tools to help in your Sybase migration effort.

You will also want to download and review the white paper “Guide to Migrating from Sybase ASE to SQL Server 2008” for a full understanding of how SSMA handles the migration of your Sybase database to SQL Server.

2.How easy is deployment of SQL Server 2008 R2 express from install shield MSI.

Installshield Pro allows you to pass command line paramters that can be passed to SQL server setup. Refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259(v=SQL.100).aspx

3.Do management tools come free with express addition. I should be able to defragment and restore the database.

Yes, SQL Express comes with free (downloadable) management studio express

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Hey Chirag SSMA for sybase will support only for SYBASE ASE version 11.9 or later .SQL Anywhere 11.0 is different from Sybase ASE 
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi Ram,

If SSMA does not support for SYBASE SQL Anywhere 11.0, could you please try to use the Import Wizard by selecting the data source "Sybase SQL Anywhere 11.0"?
    Please refer to more details from this online document ADO Connection Strings.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, July 22, 2011 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:59 AM