Mobile Web Application RRS feed

• Question

• User1334526469 posted

Dear all,

I'll be thankful for the comments and suggestions regarding my question.

I have a window application for PC computers. Now i want to develope that application for mobile. I want to user Visual Studio 2008 for this purpose.

My target is to have a web application to be accessible on the mobile.

I know that latest mobiles have buildin browsers which can access any web site.

So in this scenario i have two solutions in my mind.

1) To develop a web application mainly for PC browsers, and access that application through mobiles as well (definatly i have to take care for some features which are not compatible with the mobile browsers). This way my application will satisfy the users who want to access it on PC browsers as well as users who want to access it from mobile browsers.

2) To develop web application specifically for mobile browsers. It would surly satisfy mobile users. But user who will access it from PC browsers will definatly not have attractive view (because the view will will be small, as it will be for mobile users)

What would you guys seggest me...?

I am waiting for the comments and suggestions from most of the members. Please.

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:34 AM

Answers

• User214117797 posted

2) To develop web application specifically for mobile browsers. It would surly satisfy mobile users. But user who will access it from PC browsers will definatly not have attractive view (because the view will will be small, as it will be for mobile users)

This is the option to take.

Develop 2 applications, one specific for mobile users and other for desktop users.

You can always redirect users to either version depending on the browser type as accessed through the Request.Browser object.

That way you can cater the website for the audience.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 2:20 AM
  • User214117797 posted

Actually i want to develop one application. I don't have much time to develop two applications.

Because application's business area is much expanded, and its quite time consuming to develop two applications.

I think it will be more time consuming developing one application to support both mobile and desktop users.

If you developed your application well then all your business logic is on the application tier, so the only real difference is maintaining to front ends which are merely presentation layer.

Also the fact is the mobile users will be using a cut dwn version and it is unlikely that all features of the desktop version would be required in the mobile version.

Tell me one more thing please. Mobile application option deos not appears when we create new projects in  Visual Studio 2008 . why is it like that. Do i need to install some thing for Mobile applications...?

I believe there is a download you need for the mobile web project type.

http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/01/09/tip-trick-using-mobile-web-forms-with-web-applicaiton-projects.aspx

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:17 AM

All replies

• User214117797 posted

This is the option to take.

Develop 2 applications, one specific for mobile users and other for desktop users.

You can always redirect users to either version depending on the browser type as accessed through the Request.Browser object.

That way you can cater the website for the audience.

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:20 AM
  • User1334526469 posted

Thanks Jimmy,

Actually i want to develop one application. I don't have much time to develop two applications.

Because application's business area is much expanded, and its quite time consuming to develop two applications.

Tell me one more thing please. Mobile application option deos not appears when we create new projects in  Visual Studio 2008 . why is it like that. Do i need to install some thing for Mobile applications...?

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:26 AM
  • User1334526469 posted

Waiting for more sugestions regarding my questions from other members as well.

More sugestions will make me easy to decide perfectly. Thanks to every one.

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:37 AM
  • User1334526469 posted

Is there no Mobile application developer to answer my post...?

Friday, March 26, 2010 3:26 AM
  • User214117797 posted

I think it will be more time consuming developing one application to support both mobile and desktop users.

If you developed your application well then all your business logic is on the application tier, so the only real difference is maintaining to front ends which are merely presentation layer.

Also the fact is the mobile users will be using a cut dwn version and it is unlikely that all features of the desktop version would be required in the mobile version.

I believe there is a download you need for the mobile web project type.

http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/01/09/tip-trick-using-mobile-web-forms-with-web-applicaiton-projects.aspx

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:17 AM