Read the content of Excel Binary File (.XLSB) file using EPPlus library or any other dll RRS feed

• Question

• User671836881 posted

Hi Team,

My requirement is to read the Excel binary file content into a data table and then process the content further. I am trying to do it using EPPlus library but it is accepting only .XLS or .XLSX files. But it is not taking .XLSB file. 

Are there any such dlls where I want to re ad the content of the excel file on the PC where MSOffice is not installed and excel file is not stored in the disk. I.e. without using any Interop.Excel or Office.OLED  etc. Any such dlls which are not a trial version dlls or any code piece is highly appreciable. Please help me to resolve the issue.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:27 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

you asked the same question here...

https://forums.asp.net/p/2125693/6154791.aspx?Import+whole+content+or+data+of+excel+sheet+XLSB+file+into+a+datatable+in+C+net

Did you try the solution provided and it did not work?

Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:55 PM
  • User671836881 posted

Yes I tried that solution but I am looking for a solution where the end user PC doesn't have any Office installed or the excel file should not be saved on the physical drive just as EPPlus works. 

EPPlus works fine for .XLS and .XLSX file but it is not reading .XLSB file.. Looking for any other alternative

Friday, July 28, 2017 6:43 AM
  • User-335504541 posted

Hi Jyothirmayi,

I think you could try to use LinqToExcel to read xlsb.

You could use following command in Package Manager Console to install it:

Install-Package LinqToExcel -Version 1.11.0

And you could use codes below to read the content:

using (var excelQueryFactory = new ExcelQueryFactory(Server.MapPath("abc.xlsb")))
                {
                    //access your worksheet LINQ way
                    var worksheet = excelQueryFactory.Worksheet("Sheet1");
                }

Best Regards,

Billy

Friday, July 28, 2017 9:21 AM
  • User426857743 posted

Hi Jyothirmayi,

You can use Spire.XLS to read .xlsb files. Spire.XLS is an independent Excel component, it enables user to perform a wide range of excel processing tasks such as create, read, write, convert and print without installing MS Office. It supports .xls, .xlsx, .xlsb, .xlsm along with .ods file formats.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Spire.XLS/

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:39 AM
  • User671836881 posted

Hi Davis,

Thanks for showing me the alternative but I guess Spire.XLS is not a free download. It is paid I guess or we are getting free trial versions which we cannot rely on such type of dlls.

Could you please provide me any website where it is not a free trial.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:14 AM
  • User-335504541 posted

Hi Jyothirmayi,

Have you tried LinqToExcel? It is free.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/LinqToExcel/

Best Regards,

Billy

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:34 AM