none
Problem determining AD group membership RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm using VBA in Microsoft Access 2016 because that's what the application is written in, but I'm hoping that at least one of you remembers how to use VB6 (or in this case VBA7). This application is installed on 3 terminal servers (Windows Server 2016); one in Sydney, one in LA and one in London.

I need to be able to determine which country is the user's base (default) location. The network admins have already done so (for their own purposes) by adding each user into a specific AD user group ("AU", "US" and "UK"), and it's this group that I'd like to check in order to work out the user's base location. Please note the screen capture lower down in this post.

When I call the procedure using ADGroupMember("Fred Bloggs", "AU"), I get the following error:

Automation error
    There is no such object on the server. 

Here is the code I'm using:

Public Function ADGroupMember(ByVal strADUser As String, ByVal strADGroup As String) As Boolean
        On Error GoTo Proc_Err

Dim objConnection As ADODB.Connection
        Set objConnection = New ADODB.Connection

'CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
        objConnection.Provider = "ADsDSOObject"
        objConnection.Open "ADs Provider" '"Provider=ADsDSOObject;"

Dim objCommand As ADODB.Command
        Set objCommand = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
        objCommand.ActiveConnection = objConnection
        objCommand.Properties("Chase referrals") = ADS_CHASE_REFERRALS_ALWAYS

Dim strDomain As String
        strDomain = GetObject("LDAP://rootDSE").Get("defaultNamingContext")

Dim objRecordSet As ADODB.Recordset
        Dim oUser As IADsUser
        Dim oGroup As IADsGroup
        Dim groupMember As IADsUser
        Dim groupMemberList As IADsMembers

ADGroupMember = False

' User SystemInternals ADExplore.exe to get LDAP info
        Set oUser = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" + strADUser + ",OU=SBSUsers,OU=Users,OU=MyBusiness," + strDomain)
        Set oGroup = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" + strADGroup + ",OU=SecurityGroups , OU = MyBusiness, " + strDomain)

If oGroup.Members.Count > 0 Then
            Set groupMemberList = oGroup.Members
            For Each groupMember In groupMemberList
                Debug.Print groupMember.Name ' Optional for testing
                If groupMember.Name = oUser.Name Then
                    ADGroupMember = True ' Exit For if not testing
                End If
            Next
        End If

Proc_Exit:
        On Error Resume Next

' Cleanup
        Set oUser = Nothing
        Set oGroup = Nothing
        Set groupMemberList = Nothing
        Set groupMember = Nothing

' Close connection
        If Not objConnection Is Nothing Then
            objConnection.Close
        End If

Set objRecordSet = Nothing
        Set objCommand = Nothing
        Set objConnection = Nothing
        Exit Function

Proc_Err:
        Debug.Print Err.Description
        ADGroupMember = False
        Resume Proc_Exit
        Resume
    End Function

Here's a screencap of the AD arrangement:

Clearly I must be doing something wrong, so any insight you might be able to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Graham R Seach Sydney, Australia

• Edited by Graham R Seach Monday, May 13, 2019 12:09 AM Added the call
    Monday, May 13, 2019 12:06 AM

Answers

• The user is not found because the distinguished name is wrong. It does not include the parent ou. If strADGroup is "AU", for example, then perhaps you are missing ",ou=" & strADGroup in the DN of the user. The GetObject method does not do a search. The DN must be complete. Chase Referrals does not mean do a subtree search.

If you need to search, you need to use the CommandText property of adoCommand and assign a filter, assign a base, specify subtree, and request attributes. But if strADGroup is "AU", you can construct the DN and avoid the search.

Edit: Actually, I was looking at the cause of your error message. Looking at the rest of your code I see no reason to bind to the user object. The oUser.Name will be the same as strADUser, the Relative Distinguished Name of the user (the value of the cn attribute).

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:11 AM

All replies

• The user is not found because the distinguished name is wrong. It does not include the parent ou. If strADGroup is "AU", for example, then perhaps you are missing ",ou=" & strADGroup in the DN of the user. The GetObject method does not do a search. The DN must be complete. Chase Referrals does not mean do a subtree search.

If you need to search, you need to use the CommandText property of adoCommand and assign a filter, assign a base, specify subtree, and request attributes. But if strADGroup is "AU", you can construct the DN and avoid the search.

Edit: Actually, I was looking at the cause of your error message. Looking at the rest of your code I see no reason to bind to the user object. The oUser.Name will be the same as strADUser, the Relative Distinguished Name of the user (the value of the cn attribute).

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:11 AM
  • Arrrrgh! Blind as a bat.

Thanks Richard.

Graham

Regards, Graham R Seach Sydney, Australia

Monday, May 13, 2019 2:39 AM