Creating a Relationship Can Render a Workbook Unusable RRS feed

• General discussion

• Some customers may be encountering this issue. So that you are aware of the issue, I'm posting the description that appears in the release notes here... 

Under certain circumstances, PowerPivot data in a workbook can be irretrievably corrupted.

This problem occurs if all of the following conditions are met:

1.   The user opens a workbook that contains a set of tables, or imports a set of tables, and then saves the workbook.

2.   The user then creates a relationship where one of these saved tables acts as the foreign key table. This relationship can either be created manually through the PowerPivot window or automatically by using the automatic relationship detection functionality from the Gemini Task Pane.

3.   The user saves the workbook without any other change to the foreign key table. This can be an explicit Save by the user or an AutoRecover Save by Excel.

The workbook will now be corrupted and cannot be reopened.

To avoid this issue, make another change on the foreign key table after creating the relationship from it. Changes that avoid this problem include:

·         Refreshing the contents of the foreign key table. In the case of a table created through copy and paste, data has to be pasted into the table again after the relationship has been created.

·         Adding/deleting a column in the foreign key table.

·         Updating the formula of a column in the foreign key table.

·         Changing the data type of any column in the foreign key table.

·         Renaming the foreign key table.

Important:

Building or refreshing PivotTables, PivotCharts, or Slicers will not avoid this problem.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:05 AM

All replies

• I'm experiencing a similar issue with the current release of Excel 2010 with Power Pivot. I'm running it on a Windows 7 test box on our network, testing before I upgrade my production laptop to Excel 2010 to get PowerPivot capability. I'm connecting to the Win 7 test box via Remote Desktop.

I don't have any trouble connecting to our SSAS cubes on our BI server and pulling data into PowerPivot and/or Excel. However, if I save, close and re-open an Excel file with a PowerPivot table, the file can no longer access cube data. I get an error message:

"Either user, [AD ID], does not have access to the MS_dde37a3f-d25d-[more gobbledygook] database, or the database does not exist."

I think what is happening is that somehow either the permissions on the local PowerPivot db are excluding me, or the db is getting corrupted somehow.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix this so I can access PowerPivot files more than once?

Thanks!
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Are you sure that you are running the RTM release of the PowerPivot add-in? This issue relates to one of the CTP builds and I believe that it was fixed before the product was released. (At least I have not seen this behaviour in the release version)
    http://geekswithblogs.net/darrengosbell - please mark correct answers
    Friday, August 6, 2010 5:57 AM
  • I know what a foreign key is.  I know what a table is.  What are you referring to as a "foreign key table"?  In what kind of situation would this be used?
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:34 PM