Changing from paid app to free app with in-app purchase, version 7 to 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Phone 7 app in Windows Store, which costs $1. But now I'm upgrading it to Windows Phone 8, and I'm also changing the price-model from paid to free, with in-app purchase for some features. But I'm wondering how to approach this. I know it's possible to have 2 versions, both the existing 7 and 8 xap version in the same "product" on Windows Store. But is it possible to have different price for the versions? If not, is it possible to have 2 products in the Store with the same name, where one is 7, and the other is 8? What's the best way to approach this?
    Friday, May 3, 2013 9:04 AM

Answers

• the wp8 users should only see the.wp8 version

Wrong.
    The wp8 users will see both 7.x and 8.0 versions.

(we are talking about two different submissions; one for wp7 and one for wp8)

• Edited by Marco Mura Saturday, May 4, 2013 12:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Flusher78 Monday, May 6, 2013 10:08 PM
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hello Flusher78,

Windows Phone 7 does not support in-app purchases via the Store so it would not be possible to submit both of them under the same product ID but you can use the same name.

However this can create confusion for your customers.

You also have the option to use a third party payment processor such as PayPal (and there are other third payment processors for in-app purchases)

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Friday, May 3, 2013 6:31 PM
  • But if i choose to release the win8 version with the same name as the win7 version, will the win7 users see the win8 version in the store? If yes, what's the point of this, since they cannot download/buy/use the app? I can see the problem with win8 users seeing the win7 version, but the other way around?
    Friday, May 3, 2013 6:34 PM
  • the wp7 users should only see the wp7 version.  the wp8 users should only see the.wp8 version
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:24 AM
  • the wp7 users should only see the wp7 version.  the wp8 users should only see the.wp8 version

Ken: are you saing that the wp7 users will only see the wp7, or should (as a request)?

And one more thing, this is when I'm releasing it as two different products, with the same name. I can't use the two versions in the same product, because of different price-models, paid/free.
    • Edited by Flusher78 Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:00 AM
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:59 AM
  • the wp7 users will not see the wp8 version
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:26 AM
  • the wp7 users will not see the wp8 version
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 10:32 AM
  • the wp8 users should only see the.wp8 version

Wrong.
    The wp8 users will see both 7.x and 8.0 versions.

(we are talking about two different submissions; one for wp7 and one for wp8)

• Edited by Marco Mura Saturday, May 4, 2013 12:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Flusher78 Monday, May 6, 2013 10:08 PM
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 11:43 AM