none
Need to Enter Real Subtask "Actual Work" and "Actual Finish" RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a Project file by importing a CSV file.  I need to be able to import both the real Actual Work hours and the real Actual Finish dates contained in the CSV file.  Somehow Project ties these two together for finished Subtasks:  entering the Actual Work sets the Actual Finish.  And entering the Actual Finish clears the Actual Work.
    Is there a sequence to enter those for a Subtask, and display what is in the CSV file, rather than what Project wants to compute?

• Edited by andyrice Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:49 PM
    Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:44 PM

Answers

• andyrice,

If you set the % Work Complete field to 100%, then the Actual Finish field should not be empty. Do you have automatic calculation turned off? Are you using manual scheduling mode?

For the test sequence I ran, my task type is Fixed Work. I set % Work Complete to 100%. At that point Project assumes the task finished as planned so it sets the Actual Finish date to be the Finish date and the Actual Work to equal the Work. Now you need to adjust the work and finish date. If you simply change the value in the Actual Work field, Project will reset the % work complete if the actual work value does not equal the Work field (remember, task is fixed work). So to "replan" the task to what actually happened, you must update the Work field with the actual work value. Finally, if the Actual Finish is not the Finish, then the Actual Finish date must be updated. Try that.

Project's scheduling equation is:

Duration = Work/Units.

John

• Marked as answer by andyrice Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:35 PM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 8:18 PM

All replies

• andyrice,

You are basically fighting Project's scheduling equation but try this. Since you are working with finished tasks, first import 100% into the % Work Complete field. Then import your actual work value into the Work field, not the Actual Work field. Finally, import the Actual Finish date.

John

Monday, June 30, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Thanks John: 

Note that not all tasks are finished.  But I don't have a problem with the Work and Actual Finish fields for those.
    I tried the above, but Project changed "% Work Complete" to 0 as soon as I imported into the Work field (because "Actual Finish " was empty at that point?)  I tried importing into "% Complete" instead of "% Work Complete", but after the last step of importing the "Actual Finish", project changed the Work hours I had imported.
    My goal is to import the "Work" hours and "Actual Finish" exactly as they are in the CSV. What is the scheduling equation I am fighting here?

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:56 PM
  • andyrice,

If you set the % Work Complete field to 100%, then the Actual Finish field should not be empty. Do you have automatic calculation turned off? Are you using manual scheduling mode?

For the test sequence I ran, my task type is Fixed Work. I set % Work Complete to 100%. At that point Project assumes the task finished as planned so it sets the Actual Finish date to be the Finish date and the Actual Work to equal the Work. Now you need to adjust the work and finish date. If you simply change the value in the Actual Work field, Project will reset the % work complete if the actual work value does not equal the Work field (remember, task is fixed work). So to "replan" the task to what actually happened, you must update the Work field with the actual work value. Finally, if the Actual Finish is not the Finish, then the Actual Finish date must be updated. Try that.

Project's scheduling equation is:

Duration = Work/Units.

John

• Marked as answer by andyrice Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:35 PM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 8:18 PM
  • John:

Thanks.  I now import to the Work column. Along with that I import to custom columns "ActualFinishCustom" and "ActualWorkCustom".

Then I loop thru the Project file. I copy the "ActualFinishCustom" to "Actual Finish", then copy "ActualWorkCustom" to "Actual Work".  That gets real close to displaying the actual data.

Andy

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:17 PM
  • Andy,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

If my response was helpful to you please mark it as the answer or at least mark a helpful vote.

John

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:30 PM