Notifications only while within app?

Question

• Hi,

Is there a way to use the notification system to send a notification within the app only while it's loaded and but not make it visible to the user?

What I want to do is have my app respond to changes to data. For example, a user (using a web service) adds or removes data from a database. I want the app to have a notification that something has changed and run specific code in response to that change. I do not want the user to get a toast notification and I don't want the notification to run the code when the app is not open. I am trying to see if I can use the existing notification services available to do this because I'd prefer not to create an entire notification system myself if I can get away with it.

Is there a way of doing this with the Microsoft Notification Service?

Thanks,

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:35 AM

Answers

• I think you want to use raw notifications:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj676791.aspx

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, March 10, 2014 12:27 PM