none
Resource Sheet Custom Text and Custom Flag Data Doesn't Stick At First RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Pro v2013.

One of our users has found that if you go to the resource sheet and add a custom text field (like Text1) and/or a custom flag field (like Flag1) and then enter data into those fields it won't "stick" the first time you do a save after entering the data.  You have to re-enter the data and then save again.  I have confirmed the bug in both our customer's environment as well as on our Corporate environment.

Anybody else seeing this?  I haven't tried it yet on either v2010 or v2016.

Chris

Monday, March 12, 2018 5:28 PM

All replies

• Chris,

First of all is the user's version of Project 2013 at 15.0.5007.1000? If not, run Windows Update.

Is the user doing a Save or Save As? I always use Save As back to the same filename.

Unfortunately I don't have Project 2013 but I ran a quick test with a fully updated Project 2010 Pro and data entered into Resource Text1 remains when the file is re-opened after a Save As.

You are aware that Task Text1, Resource Text1, Resource Assignment Text1 and Task Assignment Text1 are all separate fields.

John

Monday, March 12, 2018 6:01 PM
  • Yup, we are on 15.0.5007.1000. 

Yup, I am aware there is a difference between task and resource text and flag fields.  We are also on Project Server, so doing a "Save as" is not desirable.  The steps for replication of the bug are:

1. Insert text1 and flag1 while in the resource sheet
    2. pick a resource and add some text to text1 and change flag1 to "yes"
    3. click "Save" --- the text1 data you just entered will disappear and flag1 will revert to "no"
    4. re-enter the data into Text1 and Flag1
    5. click "Save".  This time the data will stick.

Chris

Monday, March 12, 2018 7:07 PM
  • Chris,

Using a straight "Save", it works fine with Project 2010 so I can't help further. I'll see if I can get someone who has PS 2013 to do a quick test and jump into the thread but might not hear back until tomorrow unless someone else jumps in.

John

Monday, March 12, 2018 8:33 PM
  • Hi Chris,

First comment, but I'm sure you should be aware of that, so maybe this is a difference between Project Online (I run the test with a PO environment) and Project Server, but you cannot edit custom fields on enterprise resources in MS Project, so my case, adding text1 or flag1, I cannot enter any data for any enterprise resource on a Project Online project.

That being said, if I try on a local resource created in a PO project, I cannot reproduce the bug, the text1 is filled and correctly saved when hitting the save button.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:07 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

We are not using enterprise resources.  To the extent that we use resources at all is for narrow purposes.  Thus, the resources are local to the file.

The v2016 test servers on our Corporate network are currently refusing to load (grrrr!) so I can't run a test there.

Chris

Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:10 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I just tested on my MS Project 2016, not connected to PS or PO and I still cannot reproduce the issue.

Here is my version:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:18 PM