none
Can we insert html into word web app? Can we convert word web app document to html file as use saveas method on office client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

As we know, we can use word web app to edit word document online. but i want to insert some html text into word document online, I wonder whether this task can do in word web app?

And as i know, the word web app support docx, doc, dot file type,  because we can use SaveAs method to save word document to html file on office client . I wonder can we convert word document to html file type?

If the two tasks can implement, can you give me some code snippets and some useful threads?

Thanks a lot. 

• Edited by Rich12321 Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:17 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:08 PM

Answers

• Correct, currently apps for Office are not supported in the Word Web App. Note that we are expanding the platform to include apps for Office in more Office applications so stay tuned...

You can use the APIs to insert HTML in to the Word document, yes (from a task pane app in the Word desktop application).

You could then open your document in the Web app companion (aka "WAC") and the round-tripping wouldn't affect the document content.

Is that what you're asking?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:00 PM
  • No you'd have to use the app from the desktop application.

Can you describe the scenario where you/user would be inserting HTML in to a content of a document in the Word Web app? It might help be better understand what you're trying to do.

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I'd like to help with your questions. Can you explain your scenario? Why are you trying to insert HTML?

Are you trying to use an app for Office to insert HTML in to a Word document? Or are you trying to convert document file formats?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Hi Russel,

Thank you for answer.

As I know, the word web app don't support app for office.  the scenario is that i want inser some html codes into word document in edit word web app.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Correct, currently apps for Office are not supported in the Word Web App. Note that we are expanding the platform to include apps for Office in more Office applications so stay tuned...

You can use the APIs to insert HTML in to the Word document, yes (from a task pane app in the Word desktop application).

You could then open your document in the Web app companion (aka "WAC") and the round-tripping wouldn't affect the document content.

Is that what you're asking?

Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:00 PM
  • I want to insert html when the document edit in word app, can we do that task now?

I don't want to insert html from Word desktop application by using JavaScript API for Office and then open it in web APP. I only want to insert html in Word Web App. Can I do that?

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:36 AM
  • No you'd have to use the app from the desktop application.

Can you describe the scenario where you/user would be inserting HTML in to a content of a document in the Word Web app? It might help be better understand what you're trying to do.

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Hi Rich,

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly and not sure if it's the limitation in office cloud you are talking about, however I'd like to give you some sample and reference pointing out a way to insert html into word document. 

Office.context.document.setSelectedDataAsync('<b>some bold text</b>', { coercionType: Office.CoercionType.Html }, function(asyncResult){
                if (asyncResult.status == Office.AsyncResultStatus.Succeeded) {
    //done
    };
            });

Also don't forget to check out this link

Mark the post answered or helpful if you feel so. http://www.ishan-solution.blogspot.com

• Edited by Ishwor Mali Monday, April 1, 2013 6:57 PM minor code block mistake
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Thanks for this answer. We're facing exactly the same problem, our custom Word app (task pane app) works fine but is not available for Office/Word Online. Is there a schedule/roadmap so that we know when we can start deploying this app in Word Online?
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback, and great to see you're having success creating apps for the Word desktop application.

To your question about support for apps for Office in Word Online, I can report that we're currently working on it but don't have a target date for release to communicate at this time.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:36 PM