none
SMB2 server Resets the connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am implementing SMB client with protocol version 2.1 (SMB2.1 client) on Non-Windows System. I am using this client to connect to Windows 2016 server(AD Server).

Client is able to copy more than 5GB data from/to local file system to mounted remote share. It can create, delete and perform all file operations.

In some scenarios, Server is sending RESET. 

1.  Two threads continuously creates  files : Thread1 is creating files file1, file2....  and  Thread2 is creating files from file1001, file1002...

Server sends RESET after 800files creation(Thread1 created 410 files and Thread2 created 409 files).   This operation is performed many times seeing the same behaviour.

2.  Large file creation causes connection reset( Single thread opens a file,writes small amount of data(few bytes) and close the file... This operation has been performed repeatedly).  Server RESETS after  30MB of file has been written.

3.  Continuous creation and deletion of files resets the connection.

4. Created files using following scripts: It RESET connection after 600+ files creation.

while [[ $i -lt 2000 ]]
    do
            echo file$i
            touch file$i
            echo "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" > file$i
            ((i=i+1))
    done    

Thanks and Regards,

Savitri

Saturday, December 29, 2018 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi savitri,

Thank you for the question about SMB2 and receiving a RESET after creating 800 files. One of the Open Specifications team members will respond shortly to assist you. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Saturday, December 29, 2018 6:33 PM
  • Hello Savitri, I will be assisting you with your issue. Can you contact me at [dochelp at microsoft dot com].  I will send you some instructions to collect data on the server to understand why server is resetting the connection.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Saturday, December 29, 2018 11:47 PM
  • Hi Sreekanth,

Sent an email to  specified email address.

Thanks and Regards,

Savitri

Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:11 AM
  • UPDATE 1/7/2019

This issue was resolved. Server encountered unexpected MID value from client's SMB Request. This resulted in disconnection.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:06 PM