Windows Store apps certificate expiration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a customer that is wondering how long an app that they download off the Windows Store directly can be used without having connection to the internet.  I have search through the forums and have searched for answers from the internet and couldn't find anything.

Basically they are asking the following:

1) how does the Window Store renew the app certificate once it is downloaded?

2) If it requires connection to the internet to renew, how long does the store certificate lasts?

3) If we don't upload an update to the app in say 1.5 years, would the app's certificate expire and my customers can no longer can use it?

This app is officially downloaded from the Windows Store and NOT sideloaded.  I know that Microsoft sign the app for us and maintain the certificate through the life of the app.

Thanks,

Ed

Monday, April 16, 2018 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

The Store certificate will expire in one year. If it expires, you need to renew the Storekey.pfx by associating with Store again or you will not be able to generate a new package.

But for users who have already installed your app from Store, when they're online the Store will renew the certificate automatically for your app no matter if you publish a update. So, without having connection to the Internet, he may no longer can use your app after a year.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mattew Wu Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:20 AM