Xamarin.iOS.dll not found on Mac or Azure DevOps RRS feed

• Question

• User302925 posted

I currently have a Xamarin.Forms project that gets automatically built using Azure DevOps after each code commit. It usually had no problems building until recently, now the issue is that Xamarin.iOS.dll could not be found. This is the exact error I get in DevOps:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.18.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(2130,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Xamarin.iOS". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

I decided to try to build it on my work MacBook as well using Visual Studio 2019 for Mac. This one is also having trouble finding Xamarin.iOS.dll. It is searching for it at ~/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.Frameworks/Versions/Current/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll.

Building the iOS project with Visual Studio 2017 on Windows still works.

Everything was recently updated to the latest versions of Xamarin and Visual Studio. Was the Xamarin.iOS.dll for Mac moved on the latest update? How would I go about fixing this issue?

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:49 PM

Answers

• User302925 posted

@JohnH said:

@ButteryTacos said:

@JohnH said:

@ButteryTacos said: I currently have a Xamarin.Forms project that gets automatically built using Azure DevOps after each code commit. It usually had no problems building until recently, now the issue is that Xamarin.iOS.dll could not be found. This is the exact error I get in DevOps:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.18.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(2130,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Xamarin.iOS". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

I decided to try to build it on my work MacBook as well using Visual Studio 2019 for Mac. This one is also having trouble finding Xamarin.iOS.dll. It is searching for it at ~/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.Frameworks/Versions/Current/mono/Xamarin.iOS/Xamarin.iOS.dll.

Everything was recently updated to the latest versions of Xamarin and Visual Studio. Was the Xamarin.iOS.dll for Mac moved on the latest update? How would I go about fixing this issue?

I haven't seen that error personally (I created all our CI and deployment build pipelines in VSTS, aka Azure DevOps), has your build pipeline changed recently? When was the last time it worked? Can you go back to the last build that worked and queue that version of the code again? Does that work?

I just tried to build the last successful build, and it failed with the same error. The build pipeline should all be the same still, I haven't really messed with it, this all started yesterday when some code that used UIKit was committed to the .iOS project. This should not have been an issue since we used UIKit before in custom renderers.

It could also have been caused by updating Xamarin versions on my Windows PC and Mac. Yesterday I took some time and made sure everything was up to date.

And it was the same version of the code before any other commits? Can you check the history of the build pipeline in case something crept in? How long ago was the last successful build?

So, I reviewed the check-in from a coworker, it turns out Xamarin.iOS.dll was referenced in another project besides the .ios Project, this caused the build to fail. I removed the reference and everything started working again. Still was weird that the last successful build also failed.

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 3:55 PM

All replies

• User74 posted

@ButteryTacos said: I currently have a Xamarin.Forms project that gets automatically built using Azure DevOps after each code commit. It usually had no problems building until recently, now the issue is that Xamarin.iOS.dll could not be found. This is the exact error I get in DevOps:

I haven't seen that error personally (I created all our CI and deployment build pipelines in VSTS, aka Azure DevOps), has your build pipeline changed recently? When was the last time it worked? Can you go back to the last build that worked and queue that version of the code again? Does that work?

Friday, July 12, 2019 3:05 PM
  • User302925 posted

@JohnH said:

I just tried to build the last successful build, and it failed with the same error. The build pipeline should all be the same still, I haven't really messed with it, this all started yesterday when some code that used UIKit was committed to the .iOS project. This should not have been an issue since we used UIKit before in custom renderers.

It could also have been caused by updating Xamarin versions on my Windows PC and Mac. Yesterday I took some time and made sure everything was up to date.

Friday, July 12, 2019 3:21 PM
  • User74 posted

@ButteryTacos said:

@JohnH said:

And it was the same version of the code before any other commits? Can you check the history of the build pipeline in case something crept in? How long ago was the last successful build?

Friday, July 12, 2019 3:44 PM
  • User302925 posted

@JohnH said:

@ButteryTacos said:

@JohnH said:

So, I reviewed the check-in from a coworker, it turns out Xamarin.iOS.dll was referenced in another project besides the .ios Project, this caused the build to fail. I removed the reference and everything started working again. Still was weird that the last successful build also failed.

Thanks for your help.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 3:55 PM
  • User176749 posted

Just of my curiosity, are you able to create apk or ipa using azure devops pipelines? I am currently using Appcenter and not happy about it. is there a better way to do with Azure Devopps?

Sunday, July 14, 2019 12:45 AM
  • User74 posted

@batmaci said: Just of my curiosity, are you able to create apk or ipa using azure devops pipelines? I am currently using Appcenter and not happy about it. is there a better way to do with Azure Devopps?

I create both with Azure DevOps pipelines. I would expect the tooling for the pipelines is the same as AppCenter however.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 7:12 AM
  • User302925 posted

@batmaci said: Just of my curiosity, are you able to create apk or ipa using azure devops pipelines? I am currently using Appcenter and not happy about it. is there a better way to do with Azure Devopps?

I believe there is a way to create the apk/ipa in Azure Devopps, I'm currently not creating them on DevOpps, we are just using it to make sure check-ins are building and to increment version numbers.

Here are some information about building with Devopps/Xamarin that may help: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/languages/android?view=azure-devops

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/languages/xcode?view=azure-devops

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:58 PM