none
Newby - Best way to get debug stubs to the Command Window in VSTO, Language: C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm developing a Powerpoint Addin with C#

I would just like to know how to put debug statements in my code and get them to write to the command window at the bottom of Visual Studio when my addin is running. Does anyone know a quick and simple way to do this? Or if now in this command window, wherever is the place we expect it to show?

David

Monday, June 2, 2014 12:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, you want to insert debug statement into the code to display the information in the command window.

In fact, the Command window is used to execute commands or aliases directly in the Visual Studio integrated development environment (IDE). The Output window can display status messages for various features in the IDE. So I suggest you using Output Windows instead of Command window to achieve the goal.

As far as I know, we can use the Debug and the Trace classes to provide information about the performance of an application either during application development, or after deployment to production. These classes are available in the Microsoft .NET Framework.

Here are links about how to use the Debug and the Trace classes to display diagnostic messages in the Output Window for your reference.

How to trace and debug in Visual C#

Diagnostic Messages in the Output Window

By the way, displaying diagnostic messages in the Output Window is more related to Visual Studio development, for more questions, I suggest you posting in Visual Studio Development forum for more effective responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, you want to insert debug statement into the code to display the information in the command window.

In fact, the Command window is used to execute commands or aliases directly in the Visual Studio integrated development environment (IDE). The Output window can display status messages for various features in the IDE. So I suggest you using Output Windows instead of Command window to achieve the goal.

As far as I know, we can use the Debug and the Trace classes to provide information about the performance of an application either during application development, or after deployment to production. These classes are available in the Microsoft .NET Framework.

Here are links about how to use the Debug and the Trace classes to display diagnostic messages in the Output Window for your reference.

How to trace and debug in Visual C#

Diagnostic Messages in the Output Window

By the way, displaying diagnostic messages in the Output Window is more related to Visual Studio development, for more questions, I suggest you posting in Visual Studio Development forum for more effective responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:49 AM
  • Thanks Luna

That's a great response.

Much appreciated.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:52 PM