Real-world DD examples? RRS feed

• Question

• User-189275847 posted

Dyanmic Data looks really neat... honestly, it does.  But what are you using it for?  Anyone have sites online that use it?  I'm here looking at my enterprise apps and websites trying to find a place for Dynamic Data, and I just don't see anywhere that it makes sense.  Even in my admin apps where everything is so heavily customized, it actually seems easier and more elegant to do all of that in template fields and OnDatabinding events than to delve into data partial classes and creating metadata with UIHints, then another file elsewhere that templates the display.

I suppose if we deploy a new database in-house that we want to give sales managers edit access to, then that would be good and quick.

I appreciate the effort, it's very impressive, but maybe this is just a tool that's not right for my toolbox?  I'm just not seeing the practicality of it's implementation yet.

This is not criticism or bashing, I'm an early-adoption-bleeding-edge-of-technology freak who's trying to see if this will work for me.

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:09 PM

All replies

• User660823006 posted

We are working on a blog sample that we will post in both WebForms and MVC formats that shows Dynamic Data in a real world application. Hopefully we can get it posted in the next few weeks.

If you have an existing code base Dynamic Data should really shine in a few places:

Validation: Instead of placing custom templates for every field in you pages to handle common validation you can place Required, Range, Regex validation directly on your datamodel and it automatically add Required for non-nullable columns, will automatically set maxlength on text fields and will do type validation for many types. If you want to see a good example of what old verses new looks like you can check out the ExistingWebSite.zip sample at: http://www.codeplex.com/aspnet/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=14473

Foreign Key Relationship: It will automatically handle displaying foreign key relationships using the name for the foreign key table instead of the ID. When editing it will automatically provide a drop down list of values. The column from the foreign key table to use for display text can easily be set along with the sort direction.

Field Templates: Their are templates based on data types so instead of being stuck with the default ASP.NET rendering of data you now have source code in your project that controls this that can easily be replaced. Great examples of this are Peter Blum who has added support for this in the latest release of his validation suite for ASP.NET: http://www.peterblum.com/News/TopicView.aspx?TopicId=310&ReturnUrl=%2fHome.aspx.

These are all changes that Dynamic Data provides to the existing data controls inside of ASP.NET. You can use them just like you use the exising data controls today. The scaffold support is a great way to build an admin part of your site. Hope this helps!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:11 AM
  • User-428635645 posted

We have an in development R&D piece which uses it and may end up in a later version of Immediacy SharePoint Connector:

http://www.immediacy.net/products/sharepoint_connector.aspx

The reason I've considered DD is because we generate business objects dynamically using an ASP.NET build provider from SharePoint list and document library schemas, and so decorating our generated business objects with the Dynamic Data attributes suddenly allows us to remove large amounts of custom code, for example custom BoundFields and GridView, DetailsView controls. The framework has fitted in to our product with amazing ease, it's almost as if we could have wished Microsoft to write it to our requirements and they got it perfectly right [:)]

It's possibly a bit weird an example because we arent actually using it for a database at all, we are using it for its automated scaffolding and validation functionality.

Cheers.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:52 AM
  • User-567247610 posted

I'm developing a CRM system on dynamic data and not much left for completition of the system. Dynamic data acts as a core data access and presentation layer in my application. In this core, i created needed custom templates, customized page templates, built attribute based access restrictions (see steve's blog - c# bits) etc. These are the core elements of my app and will be common for every domain i apply my solution. I also created a second project which contains field attributes and business logic. So the core dynamic data application will stay the same, while i'm implementing different business logic for different sites. It's just setting some attributes and adding some little code snippets... It can be further developed such that having attributes and business logic rules stored in db. And just by setting some fields on the db, you get your app ready fopr a different business domain... (in case of a good preliminary design)

Friday, August 22, 2008 4:30 AM