none
Rebuild MS Access Database By Importing RRS feed

• Question

• I have one Customer Access Database (originally Access 95 to Access 2007) that was corrupted (Somehow the VBA gets damaged). I started with a blank MS Access 2013 Database and I have done this a number of times without a problem.  On Friday, I was able to import all the Tables, Queries, Forms with VBA and everything looks good and runs correctly.  When I try to import the Reports, I get the message, "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library."  and then this is followed up by another message box that says "No current record."  I have been rebuilding this databases for some time and I have never seen these messages before.  Could someone tell me what the problem is about please?  I built a blank database, so I don't understand where the conflict comes from.  Thanks.

Terry From Roseville

Monday, August 3, 2015 2:42 PM

Answers

• Yes, I just recreated the reports in the new databases with the same names and everything works.  I still don't understand the import/export messages and I tried both import and export.  I could see the reports in the source database and run them in the source database.  I guess I may never know what caused the problem, since I made gold copies for all the databases and I can resurrect a database by simply updating the tables.  I have placed the database in question back in service.  As I say, I have updated and rebuilt a number of MS Access Databases in MS Access 2013 and never experienced this issue.  I have talked with the State development people and they have never seen this issue.  So, I guess it is a closed issue for now.  Thanks for everyone's help, but it remains a mystery.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Terry,

I don't have an answer for you but have you tried using SaveToText and LoadFromText methods of moving the reports to the new database? Just curious...

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:04 PM
  • Since this error relates to reports only, try importing them one at a time to determine if it's just one of the reports or all of them. Also, check your references library to make sure none are missing or out of date. Then open each report to determine if there is a Record Source for that report that is causing the "no current record" message. Since you getting a name conflict error as well, make sure any VBA code behind each report is properly execcuting by setting a break point when the report opens. You will need to check each report one at a time since there are many reasons why these messages could occur.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Thanks, I will this to see if it a work around.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 4:15 PM
  • I have tried importing the 15 reports one at a time and I get the messages previously mentioned.  The rest of the reports imported without a problem.  There is no VBA behind the reports just queries.  Am I missing something?  Thanks for the help.  I am interested in understanding what is causing these messages to appear for the first time.  You help is greatly appreciated.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 4:19 PM
  • Thanks, I will this to see if it a work around.

Hi. Yes, if you don't find another solution, try out this workaround and let us know how it goes. Good luck!
    Monday, August 3, 2015 4:39 PM
  • I was able to import all the Tables, Queries, Forms with VBA...

When I try to import the Reports, I get the message, "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library."  and then this is followed up by another message box that says "No current record."...

Just curious what happens when you import into a new database, only the Reports. If there is no error during that import then add the Queries. If still no errors then add the VBA modules. Last add your Table links to your BE so you will have some data for testing.

At this point depending on your design you can test if the Reports work. If they work then add your Forms and test again.

I noticed you have the Tables as listed in the same file as everything else, it is a good design practice to have those in a separate file and link to them rather than have them in the same file.

Otherwise, you can verify there are no conflicting names or duplicate Reports being imported.

Hth

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:10 PM
  • another message box that says "No current record."...

Just another thought, I don't see how this message can happen unless an object is open in the file...

Chris Ward

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:12 PM
  • I tried creating a new blank database and importing just the reports from an older archived version of the Customer's database (same reports) and experienced the same exact problem.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Have you followed the advice from Lawrence yet, about the references?

Any of them missing.

Have you tried not importing the Reports but instead, copying the Record Source from the original Report and pasting it into a new Report and add a few fields to make sure it works?

Chris Ward

Monday, August 3, 2015 7:30 PM
  • I created an new desktop database and just tried to import the reports only from an older (2013) version of the same database and I am still experiencing the same problem and messages. It would seem to be that something has changed in MS Access 2013.  The reports from the older database could not have been changed in any way, since the archive has been stored away from sight.  Can someone explain to me what is really happening and where I can look to clear things up.  Thanks.

Terry from Roseville.

Monday, August 3, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Trouble shooting issues can be difficult sometimes but there is not enough information to determine the cause. We can only speculate which is not a good way to troubleshoot.

As a beginning question pointing to software, based on your comments sounds like the App worked fine in A2007 and you recently switched to A2013. When the A2013 was installed, was A2007 first uninstalled? Which version was installed 32bit or 64 bit. if 64 bit then that is likely the cause as the original database in A97 was 32bit.

Try recreating a new database building a few small tables, queries, forms and reports and see if that works. If it does work it is not the software. If it doesn't it maybe still is not the software.

Chris Ward

Monday, August 3, 2015 7:43 PM
  • I have had the question of 32-bit MS Office 2013 versus 64-bit MS Office from the IT Folks and the answer is that the 32-bit version was installed and I the 2007 version od removed by the IT Folks prior to the 2013 Office install.  It is an interesting assessment, since Tables, Forms, and Queries work just fine, but I can't import certain Reports, but you think it is not the MS Access 2013.  I have rebuilt these MS Access Databases a number of times and I have never seen these messages.  So, your response is troubling at best.  Thanks.

Terry

Monday, August 3, 2015 10:14 PM
  • Can you at least open the source database to see the reports in question?  If you are able to view the reports in the source db, you can try the following:

For each report,

1. In the source db, open the report in design view.
    2. Use the mouse to drag a selection around all of the report's controls.
    3. Press Ctrl+C to copy all of the controls.
    4. In your new database, create a new blank report.
    5. Open the new report in design view.
    6. In the new report, press Ctrl+V to paste the contents of the clipboard.
      Hopefully, all of the controls will paste without problem.
    7. Add your record source and adjust your page sizes.
    8. Make any other adjustments that may be necessary.
    9. Save the report with the source db's report name, and your done.

Hopefully, that will work out for you, since all other methods seem to fail.

Monday, August 3, 2015 11:56 PM
  • Yes, I just recreated the reports in the new databases with the same names and everything works.  I still don't understand the import/export messages and I tried both import and export.  I could see the reports in the source database and run them in the source database.  I guess I may never know what caused the problem, since I made gold copies for all the databases and I can resurrect a database by simply updating the tables.  I have placed the database in question back in service.  As I say, I have updated and rebuilt a number of MS Access Databases in MS Access 2013 and never experienced this issue.  I have talked with the State development people and they have never seen this issue.  So, I guess it is a closed issue for now.  Thanks for everyone's help, but it remains a mystery.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Hi. I am just curious... I thought you would try the SaveAsText and LoadFromText methods to export and import the reports if you didn't find any other solutions on exporting or importing the old objects, just to see if it would fail also.

In any case, glad to hear you're all sorted out now. Good luck with your project.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 6:13 PM