What is the difference between 'unpin' and 'remove'?

Question

• Hey there,

when pinning content to the Start menu, I can remove the emerging live tile by 'removing' or 'unpinning' it. 'Remove' denotes: remove the live tile and inform the app in charge about the removal. 'Unpin' denotes: just remove the live tile and do nothing else. One can test it with IE.

But frankly, for average users that is confusing. There should be just one single option to remove the live tile (regardless of the option's name).

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• One can test it with IE.

FWIW I unpinned the Store (because in its current state it is truly useless and a waste of screen space) but discovered I could still find it using Search Apps.   Perhaps Remove (though not possible with Store) would make even that impossible?  E.g. I would have to go somewhere and reinstall an app I Removed first.   Then IE might not be a good example because you would still be able to find the Desktop implementation of iexplore.exe

---

Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:57 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

You made a good point. In the case of a Live tile representing an app, to have both 'remove' and 'unpin' could make sense, as you stated. But then they should rename 'remove' to 'de-install' or the like in order to make it clear for everybody.

However I talked about pinning some content within an app; e.g. some websites in the case of IE or particular stocks from the Stocks app. That causes a Live tile to emerge on the Start screen, too. And in that case both options are somewhat pointless. This is because when I would like to remove this certain tile, I know that it is just pinned content and not the app itself. Thus, a single 'unpin' would suffice.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:10 PM