none
How to secure WCF service for incoming requests RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very basic WCF service which accepts 4 string parameters and enters them into a database from any public site.

How could i add some level of security which would avoid any misuse of a spam bot sending junk data? i.e. encrypted username or something?

Monday, June 25, 2018 4:06 PM

All replies

• A gateway firewall that can block inbound traffic by port, protocol or IP.
    Monday, June 25, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Not too sure if i understand what you mean but we do have a firewall that blocks ports etc - are you suggesting using a different port for the service?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Hi Pure,

>>enters them into a database from any public site

What do you mean by "any public site"?

For scure your service, could you create user name and password for the public site to authenticate?

If you could, it's ok to secure your service with username and password.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:03 AM
  • Not too sure if i understand what you mean but we do have a firewall that blocks ports etc - are you suggesting using a different port for the service?

That would be setting firewall rules based on IP(s) on known IP(s) that look suspicions and block IP(s). I am talking about a gateway firewall solution that has logging of all inbound traffic to the network and start looking at the logs and start blocking on IP.
    Monday, July 2, 2018 9:40 AM