Expression Web 4 Server Error RRS feed

• Question

• For years I used MS FrontPage on my website but last week Network Solutions removed the FrontPage Server Extensions from my website rendering it useless.  I removed all content from my website and designed a few pages with Expression web 4, uploaded them and can view them on the Internet.  However, when I try to open the site in web 4 I get this error: 

Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "Software\Microsoft\Shared\Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80"

I went to the Registry and set my permissions to full control on both sub files of Web Server Extensions and still getting the same error message.  What is my problem and how do I fix it?

Mike Frazier

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:03 PM

All replies

• Are you getting this error when trying to open the site on your PC or on the Network Solutions server?

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
    FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Opeining the site on my PC, do all the updating from there.  The PC is Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

Mike Frazier

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:24 PM
  • From your description, it sounds as if you are still trying to open the site and edit it live. That will not be possible without the FrontPage Server Extensions (FPSE). FTP does not support live editing in the fashion of the FPSE; it is a File Transfer Protocol, and its most atomic transaction deals with operations on entire files and directories, not keystrokes and mouse actions.

Since you no longer have the FPSE on your server, you need to abandon them altogether. If you haven't already done so, publish a complete copy of your site down to the local machine, back it up, then do your editing locally and publish the changes back up to the NS server.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Actually I'm not trying to open the site live, just open the site with web.4.  I also cannot FTP files to the site, get a access denied error.  I have to use Ipswitch WS_ftp pro to up and download files.

Mike Frazier

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Hmm... interesting. When I saw all those references to the Web Server Extensions in your first post, I thought that the FPSE must be involved. I still think so, as a relic of the previous setup you were using. However, I haven't used the FPSE for over a decade, and even then only for publishing, so I'm certainly not up to troubleshooting them. Maybe Ronx, or Steve, or one of the other folks who have used them more recently will come along and recognize this. Good luck!  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Have you set the publishing settings in EW to use FTP?
    The error is what I would exprect when attempting to Publish to (or open) a site on a server that uses FrontPage Extensions, and the extensions are corrupted.
    If this is the case, then Network Solutions made a poor job of removing the extensions from your site.

"I also cannot FTP files to the site, get a access denied error.  I have to use Ipswitch WS_ftp pro to up and download files."
    This makes no sense as written - Ipswitch WS_ftp Pro uses FTP.  If you mean Expression Web throws the error when publishing, check the Publishing Settings in EW are the same as those used with WS_ftp Pro.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Monday, February 13, 2012 10:42 PM