none
Exception thrown when trying to Sign-In to VS Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am running visual studio 2013 ultimate version. However, when I click on the Sign In link on the top right corner of my IDE I am getting an error with the following message: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

Also, when I try to open the Load test manager, I get a more detailed error:

Method not found: 'Void Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.DefayltContractResolver.set_IgnoreSerializableAttribute(Boolean)'.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Charles-Li Monday, December 29, 2014 6:23 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

I did try installing the latest update package, but still the problem was there.

I found that the issue was related to the Newtonsoft version used by the GAC.

so, I found another thread with the steps that solved my problem:

• Download Newtonsoft from CodePlex and extract to c:\Temp
    • Add the NET35 version to the GAC
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools\gacutil.exe" /if "C:\Temp\Json60r4\Bin\Net35\Newtonsoft.Json.dll"
    • Check, using Windows Explorer, that it was added - navigate to C:\Windows\Assembly; if it wasn't you probably weren't running your CMD window as Administrator
    • Modify the devenv.exe.config file to force load the new version with a binding redirector
      Edit "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config"
      Add the following anywhere inside the  <runtime></runtime> element:
      <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" culture="neutral"/>
          <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-6.0.0.0" newVersion="6.0.0.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>

Thanks again:)

• Marked as answer by ramirezl Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi ramirezl,

Since this thread is more related to Visual Studio, I will move it to the right forum for a professional response. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 29, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Hi ramirezl,

>>However, when I click on the Sign In link on the top right corner of my IDE I am getting an error with the following message: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation".

Do you install the latest VS2013 update package 4?

Like this connect report here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/808305/exception-has-been-thrown-by-the-target-of-an-invocation-when-clicking-sign-in-on-vs2013

It seems that this issue has been resolved with the update package.

You could download and install the latest update package 4 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44921

>>Also, when I try to open the Load test manager, I get a more detailed error:

Method not found: 'Void Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.DefayltContractResolver.set_IgnoreSerializableAttribute(Boolean)'.

In addition, you know that one thread for one issue, for this issue, if it is related to the Load test, you could post a new issue here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vstest

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

I did try installing the latest update package, but still the problem was there.

I found that the issue was related to the Newtonsoft version used by the GAC.

so, I found another thread with the steps that solved my problem:

• Download Newtonsoft from CodePlex and extract to c:\Temp
    • Add the NET35 version to the GAC
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools\gacutil.exe" /if "C:\Temp\Json60r4\Bin\Net35\Newtonsoft.Json.dll"
    • Check, using Windows Explorer, that it was added - navigate to C:\Windows\Assembly; if it wasn't you probably weren't running your CMD window as Administrator
    • Modify the devenv.exe.config file to force load the new version with a binding redirector
      Edit "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config"
      Add the following anywhere inside the  <runtime></runtime> element:
      <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" culture="neutral"/>
          <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-6.0.0.0" newVersion="6.0.0.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>

Thanks again:)

• Marked as answer by ramirezl Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:53 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Glad to know that you resolved it, ramirezl!

Have a nice day,

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 1:42 AM