Advanced Search with Managed Properties and Crawled Property Mapping RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint site in which I have a photo database (picture library). The photographs are of different types of signs and each have metadata stored about them (for example, what type of materials were used, if the photo is interior or exterior, what type of sign it is, etc. Almost all of these columns are multiple selection fields). I want to be able to search this library by each of these metadata fields in the advanced search as a property restriction. (so look for an exterior monument sign for example).

I have been doing research and know that I need to perform a crawl of this metadata and then create a managed property. I have not been able to find a good step by step description of how to do this and I am looking for some help. I dont have a strong coding background or much familiarity with the sharepoint central administration site. Please help!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 25, 2010 6:33 AM Search questions go to the Search forum. (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:43 PM

Answers

• Go to Metadata Properties and start at Figure 3-5. Creating a new managed property and mapping it to the crawled properties...  Carl thats a pretty good post on  search.

Figure 3-5. The list of managed properties, properties that map to one or more crawled properties

List of managed properties

Creating a new managed property involves two simple steps, shown in Figure 3-6. First, provide a name for the property, enter a description, and specify the type of the property.

Figure 3-6. Creating a new managed property and mapping it to the crawled properties, Product Code, ProductCode, and Product Number

Creating and mapping a managed property

The second step is to map to the crawled properties. The Add Mapping button opens a dialog box where you can navigate through all of the crawled properties and select the ones you want to map to the managed property. Figure 3-7 shows the three crawled properties: ows_Product_x0020_Code, ows_Product_x0020_Number, and ows_ProductCode. You have to add them one by one to the list of mapped properties.

Figure 3-7. The three crawled properties to use for mapping with the managed property Product Code

Three crawled properties to map to Product Code

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:39 AM

All replies

• You will need to become familiar with Central Admin as you work with extending search capabilities, but there are some good MS articles/help pages on this topic.  Try this out for starters, it will give you some insight on not only adding metadata fields to the advanced search page but also give a lot of information on other search customization topics as well:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608302.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Ivan Sanders Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:31 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Go to Metadata Properties and start at Figure 3-5. Creating a new managed property and mapping it to the crawled properties...  Carl thats a pretty good post on  search.

Figure 3-5. The list of managed properties, properties that map to one or more crawled properties

List of managed properties

Creating a new managed property involves two simple steps, shown in Figure 3-6. First, provide a name for the property, enter a description, and specify the type of the property.

Figure 3-6. Creating a new managed property and mapping it to the crawled properties, Product Code, ProductCode, and Product Number

Creating and mapping a managed property

The second step is to map to the crawled properties. The Add Mapping button opens a dialog box where you can navigate through all of the crawled properties and select the ones you want to map to the managed property. Figure 3-7 shows the three crawled properties: ows_Product_x0020_Code, ows_Product_x0020_Number, and ows_ProductCode. You have to add them one by one to the list of mapped properties.

Figure 3-7. The three crawled properties to use for mapping with the managed property Product Code

Three crawled properties to map to Product Code

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:39 AM