WPF with Entity Framework or Linq? RRS feed

• Question

• I have some basic expirience in Visual Basic and programming Windows Forms programs.  I know now that forms programs are no longer updated by Microsoft and that WPF is the way to go.  No to mention the slicker interface you can create.  I've also noticed that passing SQL strings to a database is no longer the standard either.  It's either Entity Framwork or Linq.

So I am going for a fresh approach.  I need to develop a program that will access a sql database and be accessed by about 10 concurrent users within the office.  What's the best approach in general?  Linq or Entity Framework?  Also, could you recommend a book or two for someone who is new to WPF and Entity Framework?  I do have some programming expirience, just none with WPF or the new ways of ADO.net 4.

Thanks for the guidance!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Personally I find EF not yet as correct as it could be. For the short term I would take Linq to SQL, the Linq in that is the same as with EF, be aware this is my personal preference at the moment, I assume that in the next version EF will be improved because I'm not the only one who writes this.

Linq to EF and Linq to SQL simply generate code which include the same SQL strings as you create. 

Linq to SQL is very simple to start with, so you don't throw anything away if you start with that (if you have used in past recordsets you find in a way the same approach).

Be aware just my personal opinion.

Success
    Cor
    • Proposed as answer by Calvin_Gao Friday, February 11, 2011 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Thanks Cor for your detailed explanation.

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

As you ask something about WPF, please you can check the following links for some tutorials:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms754130.aspx

http://windowsclient.net/learn/videos_wpf.aspx

http://www.wpftutorial.net/

In addition, you can consider posting you WPF question in Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) forum.   

Posting your EF and LINQ question in ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities forum for better service

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Calvin Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by PHE Admin Friday, February 11, 2011 2:22 PM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Thanks Cor, for your opinion.  Calvin thank you as well for the links!
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:21 PM
  • PHE,

If you ask for an opinion than don't mark answers which gives links to WPF tutorials.

My opinion is based on what you asked. If you were not able to reread that, than it is better you do anything at all. 

So ask next time for links to tutorials instead of:

What's the best approach in general?  Linq or Entity Framework?

Success
    Cor
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:37 PM