none
Latest TypeScript update breaks Visual Studio 2013 when loading solution with TypeScript file.

Question

• First, I have Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Version 12.0.40629.00 Update 5.  I disabled all of the extensions with a disable option.  I also suspended ReSharper.  Up until this morning, I was running TypeScript 1.5 beta.  I could load my solution fine and it even compiled the typescript when it should. 

Then I installed the latest 1.7.5 version of TypeScript.  Now, when I attempt to load the solution it just sits there with the Solution Explorer saying that it is loading the solution and project.  This is a single web application (MVC) project solution file with one typescript file. 

I have searched online and tried various solutions:  remove resharper solution cache, reset devenv settings.  What I have found is the only "fix" is to remove the .V12.suo file.  This fixes it for that session.  However, the file is recreated and VS hangs the next time I open the solution. 

I even removed my local copy of the source and downloaded again from source control (VSO).  I ended up removing all of TypeScript from VS 2013.  I then reinstalled 1.5 beta but it didn't start working again.  This is very frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Monday, February 01, 2016 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi FredMalone,

You could delete the cache (eg C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudioSecondaryInstaller\14.0\installers) and repairing the TypeScript Add Remove Programs entry. If still no help, you may need to uninstall VS, delete the cache, and reinstall VS.

As you said that just one project has this issue, maybe you would think about the project itself. Please compile or debug your app, maybe you could collect detailed error messages or debug exception.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 08, 2016 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi FredMalone,

I create a sample project with a blank TypeScript file, everything works fine.

Please create a new MVC project with a blank TypeScript file to check whether the new project also has this issue.

If no, the problem is related to your project, I suggest you create a new project with a blank TypeScript file and then copy the content to the new file one by one to check whether there has any code in this file causes this issue.

If yes, please try repair your Visual Studio 2013 through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I can work with another project with a TypeScript file just fine. So it seems to only be this project.  I will add that I am able to open the solution/project just fine in Visual Studio 2015.

I did do a Repair on Visual Studio 2013 as suggested without it fixing the issue.

I should add that I tried going back to an earlier version of TypeScript.  I am also attempting to see if the ActivityLog.xml file says anything.  On first look, it didn't.  Both the Solution and Project have (loading) after them in the Solution Explorer and Visual Studio indicates it is busy in the system tray.  I am going to let it sit while I go to lunch to see if it eventually loads. 

Thanks.

Friday, February 05, 2016 5:09 PM
  • Hi FredMalone,

You could delete the cache (eg C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudioSecondaryInstaller\14.0\installers) and repairing the TypeScript Add Remove Programs entry. If still no help, you may need to uninstall VS, delete the cache, and reinstall VS.

As you said that just one project has this issue, maybe you would think about the project itself. Please compile or debug your app, maybe you could collect detailed error messages or debug exception.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 08, 2016 6:02 AM