How to Add a New Default Security Group on TFS 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I need to know how can I Add a new default security group like "Contributors" or "Project Administrators" to apply that new custom group at projects level on my TFS 2010 instance.

Obviously my intention is not create a custum group for each new TFS Project, just select one from the default project level security groups.

Thanks,

Rodrigo.-

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:53 PM

Answers

• To perform below steps, you should have TFS2010 Powertools installed.

1) First go to Team-->Team Project Collection Settings -->Process Template Manager. In Process Template Manager window, select the process template which you want to add the group and then click on download.
    2) Then go to Tools-->Process Editor --> Process Templates -->open process template. Browse to the folder where you have downloaded the process template files and choose process template.xml.

3)After it opens up in UI, Click on Groups & permissions.Here click on Add Group option, which will open a window where you can provide name and description of your custom group. Also, there will be a tab below the group where you can set the permissions for the group.

Click on Methodology tab and change the name of the template, so that it doesn't overwrite default process templates when you uploaded it to the server.Click Save(No need to change the name if you want it to overwrite the default one).

4) Again go to Team-->Team Project Collection Settings -->Process Template Manager and Click upload.Browse the folder which has your saved process template files.Then, it will process the upload and after its done you should see your custom template in Process template lists.

When you create new Team Projects, if you use the Customized process template then it will create the group which you have added.

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

• You can create the group at TFS Server level from TFS Administration Console or Team Project Collection Level.Then, you can add the group to Security Groups under Source Control and Team Explorer for the required projects.

Also, you can modify your Process Template to add this group, so that every time you create a Team Project your Custom Group will be created by default same as Contributors/Administrator Group.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Can you provide me an step by ste or give me a link to modify the Process Template?.

Thanks,

Rodrigo.-
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Ok, Let's see if I catch your solution...

You're saying that I have to go to TFS 2010 Administration Console, after that add a group at collection level and after that assign the same permissions a TFS project Administrator have and call it for example Project Administrators II right?.

After that go to the Process Template Editor (the utility that comes with TFS Power Tools) and modify the Process Template in order to Add Project Administrators II to the template right?.

Sorry but I need a more deeply clarification of the solution.

Thanks,

Rodrigo.-
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:30 PM
  • There are two different things here:

1) Adding custom group at root level(Collection Level), so that you can add it to the existing Team Projects to provide the permissions. This will be applicable to existing projects.

2) Adding custom group to the Process Template, so that when you create any new Team Projects this group will be created by default as part of Team Project Creation. This will be applicable to new projects.

Which option are you looking for?

Friday, February 11, 2011 4:26 PM
  • The second one, thank you

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:26 PM
  • To perform below steps, you should have TFS2010 Powertools installed.

1) First go to Team-->Team Project Collection Settings -->Process Template Manager. In Process Template Manager window, select the process template which you want to add the group and then click on download.
    2) Then go to Tools-->Process Editor --> Process Templates -->open process template. Browse to the folder where you have downloaded the process template files and choose process template.xml.

3)After it opens up in UI, Click on Groups & permissions.Here click on Add Group option, which will open a window where you can provide name and description of your custom group. Also, there will be a tab below the group where you can set the permissions for the group.

Click on Methodology tab and change the name of the template, so that it doesn't overwrite default process templates when you uploaded it to the server.Click Save(No need to change the name if you want it to overwrite the default one).

4) Again go to Team-->Team Project Collection Settings -->Process Template Manager and Click upload.Browse the folder which has your saved process template files.Then, it will process the upload and after its done you should see your custom template in Process template lists.

When you create new Team Projects, if you use the Customized process template then it will create the group which you have added.

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:32 PM
  • This is the procedure I followed, but when I try to use my new template I get TF50620 error:

TF50620: The Team Foundation identity scope Project does not exist

Did I miss something?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:06 PM
  • I'm encountering the same issue. Any ideas. My group name has spaces in it...could that be causing the issue?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I have done this, but get an exception when I use this process template:

TF30170: The plugin Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Groups failedduring task GrouCreation1 from group Groups

Explanation: TF50608: Unable to retrieve information fro Security Object $EVENT_SUBSCRIPTION, it does not exist

Should I add the Groups I have added to the PT also at some other location?

Thanx!

Owin

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Hmm...I found the answer rather fast.

When defining the permissions for a new role in the process template, I Allowed one of the events. That does not work for some reason.

I have removed this event permission and it works...

Owin

• Proposed as answer by Owin Friday, October 14, 2011 12:14 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:13 PM