none
With a large number of pushpins, many custom pushpin images fail to display. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Bing Maps v8 to display pushpins with many custom GIF images depicting trucks, with their direction of travel, and the truck configurations (pickup, semi+trailer, semi+double trailer, etc).  The icons are all individual GIF files.  When I serve up a map having only a hundred or so pushpins, it all works fine.  When I increase the number to over 200 or so, many of the pushpins do not display my GIF images, instead showing the default violet "dot in a circle" pushpin markers.  My code is the same in both cases, except of course for the number of elements of the JavaScript data array holding the pushpin lats, lons, and URLs of the GIFS.

When the failure occurs, I also get JavaScript errors, starting with "Uncaught TypeError: f is not a function at Object.i._requests.(anonymous function).v.abortCallback (https://www.bing.com/rms/MapCoreBundle/cj,nj/48680285/7fc8fe60.js?", (seen in the Chrome debugger).  The Bing script is so compressed that it looks impossible for me to debug.  (It's served directly from Bing.com, so I couldn't fix it even if I could debug it). 

I do find it odd that it all works fine with a smaller data set.

Monday, November 6, 2017 8:10 PM

Answers

• I believe this was resolved on another thread. The issue was that the GIF images were taking too long to be downloaded and as a result the pushpin loading timeout and reverted to the default pushpin icon. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, November 20, 2017 9:16 PM

All replies

• Can you provide some examples of how you are creating your pushpins as we haven't seen this. I've tested with tens of thousands of custom pushpins without and issues.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:55 PM
  • I believe this was resolved on another thread. The issue was that the GIF images were taking too long to be downloaded and as a result the pushpin loading timeout and reverted to the default pushpin icon. 

Monday, November 20, 2017 9:16 PM