silent .NET Framework install in setup project RRS feed

• Question

• I need to silently install the .NET framework through my setup project.  I have it installing currently but am required to make it silent.  First Time with setup projects.

Thanks,

Jordan
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Jreeher,

Thank you for your information. I can understand your issue better. :)

Launch conditions in your setup solution is applied to terminate the installation and display a message if certain conditions exist.
    For your concern on installing .NET Framework 3.5 before your application, you should set .NET Framework as Prerequisite in your setup project.

Before setting the prerequisite, we should do some work:

Please go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35\en. Open package.xml file with Notepad >> Change it as the following:

<Commands Reboot="Defer">

<Command PackageFile="dotNetFx35setup.exe"

Arguments =' /q /lang:enu /passive /norestart'

EstimatedInstalledBytes="30000000"

EstimatedTempBytes="30000000">

(Add “/q” command in Arguments . This can help to invoke this command line during .NET Framework 3.5 installation )

Then right click your setup project >> go to Properties >> click "Prerequisites....".

In the Prerequisites dialog box, referring to your issue, you should try the option Download prerequisites from the same location as my application . It will let the end users install your application offline

Hope this helps.

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to setup project deployment , you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects . This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:03 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 3:18 AM

All replies

• You can use this:

dotnetfx.exe /q /c:"install.exe /q"

Possibly just use the Process class and the Start() method parameters to get it working. Beware though: you need to adhere to the license agreement. I guess this means making sure the EULA is shown somewhere in the setup package.

Thanks
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Hi Jreeher,

I'm not quite sure which version of .NET Framework you want to silent install. Here is a helpful blog about how to silent install, repair and uninstall command lines for each version of the .NET Framework:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/04/16/9553804.aspx

Then run this command line as Etisoppo's suggestion. :)

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Hi guys, 

My issue is that the .NET Framework is a launch condition so when my installer launches if the .NET Framework is not installed, it installs it first. So, my installer does not even get touched until then making it so any file I put into the installer project does not get installed until after that.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Hi Jreeher,

Thank you for your information. I can understand your issue better. :)

Launch conditions in your setup solution is applied to terminate the installation and display a message if certain conditions exist.
    For your concern on installing .NET Framework 3.5 before your application, you should set .NET Framework as Prerequisite in your setup project.

Before setting the prerequisite, we should do some work:

Please go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35\en. Open package.xml file with Notepad >> Change it as the following:

<Commands Reboot="Defer">

<Command PackageFile="dotNetFx35setup.exe"

Arguments =' /q /lang:enu /passive /norestart'

EstimatedInstalledBytes="30000000"

EstimatedTempBytes="30000000">

(Add “/q” command in Arguments . This can help to invoke this command line during .NET Framework 3.5 installation )

Then right click your setup project >> go to Properties >> click "Prerequisites....".

In the Prerequisites dialog box, referring to your issue, you should try the option Download prerequisites from the same location as my application . It will let the end users install your application offline

Hope this helps.

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Since your issue is related to setup project deployment , you could post your thread on ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects . This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:03 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 3:18 AM