none
Kernel mode debugging fails to start RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the WDK and provisioning to a computer (first renaming some files and activating restore points... that's something the setup doesn't automatically), I can now deploy the driver but I have to select "don't install"... then it deploys and installs the driver... if I tell Visual Studio 2017 to install the driver, it fails inside MSBuild with a parser error. (that's why I don't think that we have great quality of those tools here... sorry...).

Now, when I start debugging, I get an error "windows debugging extension for visual studio failure to create process instance prevents debugging" ... what it does is creating a ntsd.exe process and then it seems that it tries to communicate via pipe. My main question here is: where is the process creation failing? on the host or on the target? can I find some logs somewhere? (procmon is a good log, but... you know...).

And... could please someone tell me what's wrong here? Other forums simply said "Visual Studio + Kernel debugging == does not work" ... could be... maybe one day I will switch to WinDbg... but not now. First I want to try this. So... any information about this?

Friday, April 20, 2018 8:12 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you're going to find that almost all of the experienced driver developers who will read this message use WinDbg.  Kernel debugging inside Visual Studio is still rather new and untrusted in our community.

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, April 20, 2018 11:00 PM