System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException The application cannot be started. Try reinstalling the application to fix the problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CFC)

Question

• No matter what Project I open this is what I get, I even Tried reinstalling VS but it still does't work.. I use VS-2012 Ultimate and I don't want to reinstall windows 8 and then VS again I don't feel that as a solution, Everything works Just the designer page doesn't seem to work.  I already Reinstalled VS ( 4 Times!!  )

Every time I open any XAML page this is what I get( Even when I create a new Project) ...

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    The application cannot be started. Try reinstalling the application to fix the problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CFC)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.AppPackage.AppPackageNativeMethods.IApplicationActivationManager.ActivateApplication(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, ActivateOptions options, Int32& processId)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.AppPackage.WrtUtility.ActivateApplication(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, Object site)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.ActivateApplicationInternal(String appUserModelId, String activationContext, Object site)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:56 AM

Answers

• NO ANSWER!!!!! I GUESS REINSTALLING WINDOWS 8 AND AGAIN INSTALLING VISUAL STUDIO IS THE ONLY ANSWER!!!!!! WISH THERE WAS SOME OTHER WAY AROUND,

• Marked as answer by q917 Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:09 PM
    • Edited by q917 Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:10 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:09 PM

All replies

• Something's obviously corrupt but it's difficult to say, and reinstall is usually the best option here.  I'm moving this to the tools forum since it's not a dev issue.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:43 PM
  • NO ANSWER!!!!! I GUESS REINSTALLING WINDOWS 8 AND AGAIN INSTALLING VISUAL STUDIO IS THE ONLY ANSWER!!!!!! WISH THERE WAS SOME OTHER WAY AROUND,

• Marked as answer by q917 Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:09 PM
    • Edited by q917 Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:10 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:09 PM
  • I have had my system go down about 3 times when the only answer was to reinstall Windows.

Reinstalling VS didn't work. Its clear reinstalling VS doesn't clean out old data.

MS could do with a clean reinstall option on VS.

n.Wright

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Solution/Workaround

Hi,

I faced the same issue caused by the developer license renewal process. You Don't need to reinstall your windows or even visual studio. This is what fixed my problem.

1. Just goto PC Settings
    2. Create a new User (windows user)
    3. Logon to the new user account you made.
    4. Start visual studio and open the solution you were working on.

try this before you go for reinstalling your windows.

Monday, December 30, 2013 11:15 AM