none
Unable to connect Azure SQL database using ActiveDirectory Integrated Authentication. RRS feed

• Question

• Steps :

Open SQL Server 2016 CTP 2 Management Studio (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 13.0.600.65)

Provide the Azure SQL database name.

Choose ActiveDirectory Integrated Authentication as the authentication mode.

Click on "Connect".

Error :

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to <<database_name>>.database.secure.windows.net.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10054)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=10054&LinkId=20476

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

BUTTONS:

OK

Eswar

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 7:16 AM

All replies

• What kind of configuration do you have on you Azure SQL?

By default it's SQL authentication, so you need to configure it to use AD. And unless some big change was made in last month, you can only use Azure AD identities.

Mustafa Toroman

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Can you verify that you have correctly entered your server name in the "Connect to Server" dialog?

i.e., instead of <<database_name>>.database.secure.windows.net as you have above, you should have <<server_name>>.database.secure.windows.net, and you should specify the particular database you want to connect to via the "Options" > "Connect to database" dropdown.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Hello Eswar-
    could you please check if your server is running as Azure SQL DB V12  ( select @@version should show 12.x.x.x). If this is the case please contact me under <mireks@microsoft.com> with the following details: server name, database name, time of connection, time zone and error.
    Thanks Mirek 

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 7:40 PM
  • thanks.. but I am using the Correct format while connecting. i.e.

<<server_name>>.database.secure.windows.net

Once I Click on "Options>>" and then try to browse the database, it again throws the same error.

TITLE: Browse Server for Database

Failed to connect to server sdobi.database.secure.windows.net. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10054)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=10054&LinkId=20476

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

BUTTONS:

OK

Thanks Much !

Eswar

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:11 PM
  • Thanks Mirek , I don't have much details about the database as it is a client exposed database which for which ideally we should only have read access custom reporting .

I will try to get more information from the client & get back to you with the details.

Thanks much !

Eswar

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:14 PM