Windows Phone 8.1 -Music API. Applying frequency filters, Equalizer

Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to make a music Equalizer that can modulate the music to make it sounds with cool effects. In PC, I may do this ways:

Read the music file->Decode music to raw wave data->Apply FFT to get the frequency spectrums->Change the strength of some frequency->Apply inverse FFT to get filtered wave data->Feed it to the playing device.

But in windows Phone, I have no idea about how to do this, as I may need to do all these things by myself, or there is even no way for me to get the decoded music wave data,or feed some data to the device.  

Any idea? Many thanks!

Never Give Up!

Sunday, December 07, 2014 4:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Chunde,

What do you mean by get music wave data to the device? You mentioned in PC you can read the music file and decode music to raw wava data and etc, how did you do this, by Visual Studio or some other tools? If you made these by Visual Studio, you can do the same thing with Windows Phone, but if you use other tools, you can also copy the music file to Windows Phone Storage and read it.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 08, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Hello, James

Many thanks for your comment. By "feed music wave data to device", wave data means raw and uncompressed voice data(*.WAV), I did a wav file player using MCI Functions some years before. However, when it comes to Windows Phone, I am not sure it allows developer to do similar things. 

The music file(such as MP3) maybe decoded or played directly via hardware,  I do not know how much we can do using code. 

I want to read MP3 files(or other format) from the WP storage, then get the decoded uncompressed raw wave format data(I may use some open source decoder), with which I can apply filters or effects on it, then, I would like to play the modified data.  By the way ,I write all my code using Visual Studio.

Thanks

Chunde

Never Give Up!

Tuesday, December 09, 2014 1:44 AM