none
Bug? Task Manager always Reports Wrong Number of Packets, Opposite Sent/Received Each Other. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone,

Yesterday I found a curious behavior on Windows Task Manager for Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2. Once I posted this problem on the Windows 7 forum, a Microsoft forum manager told me that the appropriate forum is MSDN, so I post it here.

The Task Manager displays current numbers of unicast packets and non-unicast packets of each active network interface. By default these fields are hidden, but you can let them appear by adding columns from the View menu.

However, in my computer, the statistics values of "Unicasts Sent" and "Unicasts Received" are both seems to be reversed each other. Similarly, the values of "Non-unicast Sent" and "Non-unicast Received" are opposite, too. When I sent a lot of broadcast packets with no reply, they are always counted as "Non-unicast Received" . I suppose that they should be counted as "Non-unicast Sent" , by definition.

I captured a screen. I couldn't paste a image here, so uploaded the jpg file as below.
     http:// uploader.softether.co.jp/taskmgr.jpg
     (Please remove spaces on the URL.)

At first I suspected it is only that my network interface card's driver might have a bug. So I tested Intel Gigabit CT, Realtek PCI-e GBE and Broadcom NetExtreme official WHQL drivers. They did all the same phenomenon as above.

Next, I suspected that all the above three network drivers has the same bug, by accident. So I wrote the virtual network adapter driver by myself using Windows Driver Kits for Windows 7 just today. I let my NDIS miniport adapter's "OidRequestHandler" procedure report a magic number to the Windows NDIS library by handling the NdisRequestQueryStatistics OID request. As a conclusion, the number I reported on the "ifHCInBroadcastPkts" field was displayed as "Non-unicast Sent" on the Task Manager, and the number on the "ifHCOutBroadcastPkts" field was displayed as "Non-unicast Received" . It is completely opposite to the definition which is described on the NDIS 6.x documents.

Therefore, I suspect that the Windows Task Manager's packet-counting reports about "Sent" and "Received" are absolutely opposite. However, this behavior might be only on my environment. So I would like anyone to confirm whether or not the above problem are occurred on any computers.

Thank you,
     Daiyuu Nobori

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:37 AM

All replies

• not really a driver development question, i would ask in a more appropriate forum

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:13 AM