how to use 2 servers to provide 1 domain and 1 database? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Here is the problem :
    Our setup is small network of 14PC's and 1 server(DELL T610) connected to common LAN switch

Our application needs only one server with SQL server 2008 R2 installed
    In this server two DB's will be created.
    Other PC's will be connecting to the DB's

but we bought 2 servers. thinking to make as backup server but I dont know how to use as slave/ backup server.

Though I could do one server as Main DNS and second as secondary DNS,
    how to make the common database between the servers?

I'm actually using a server storage enclosure(MD1200) to store the recorded data.

Is it possible to do as such?

Any links which could help me on this?

When I searched I found this solution called "database mirroring"

Can I do without witness server? How to do database mirroring

Though this question may not be appropriate here, but Can I configure both primary and secondary DNS with same FQDN with different IP addresses?

Will secondary DNS automatically takeover when primary is failed?

should I change any path settings manually for mirrored DB in case of failure of primary?

In summary, 2 servers should provide 1 domain and 1 database. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, June 8, 2012 5:59 PM

Answers

• There are many questions in there...

1) DNS and Active Directory can be installed on both servers. Having the same FQDN for two DNS servers seems a little strange question, as DNS servers are always specified by IP, never by FQDN. (Afterall, the DNS is who would translate the FQDN to the IP in the first place...) The way to do it is to install active directory + DNS + global catalog on both servers and ensure that your clients have both IPs specified in their DNS settings. But this is a database forum, so the details on that are better off somewhere else...

2) Using the storage: You can use pretty much any storage by now for a SQL Server database. The question is: Will both servers use the same storage? In this case be careful that you don't have your storage as a single point of failure, meaning: If you storage breaks, you loose everything...

3) DB availability: This vastly depends on your SQL license and the effort you want to go throuhg. If both DBs have the same storage behind it you can use a SQL Server Failover Cluster to achieve high availability. But this one would need Windows Enterprise Edition + SQL Enterprise Edition as far as I know. (I'm not a licensing expert though either...) Database mirroring is always an easy solution for this scenario, but keep in mind that you don't have automatic failover with two servers. You need to do the failover manually after a server failure.

Here are some links for you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190941.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff877884.aspx

• Proposed as answer by amber zhang Monday, June 11, 2012 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Monday, June 25, 2012 2:30 AM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 8:58 PM