install silent mode SQL Server 2005 Express - How can I have some information about the progress of the installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to install SQL Server 2005 express in silent mode using C#. I've got a progress bar in my application that I would like to use in order to show the progress of the installation.

I know how to run a silent install of SQL Server 2005 Express in C#. I use the class Process to run the SQLEXPR.EXE + parameters = "start qn etc..".

But I dont know how to have some information about the progress of the installation. Return a percentage or something similar I could use for my progress bar.

I need some advices, clues?

I know in the folder setup of SQLEXPR.EXE there are a lot of msi but I dont know how to use them.

Regards,

JC

Saturday, July 9, 2011 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi JC,

When you invoke SQLExpress Setup file from your C# program, it will run as Out of Process from your program, so you can't get its progress.

Regarding the MSIs inside SQLEXPR.exe, You don't need to extract it to use them for new install, if you are looking for any specific MSI such as Native Client you can download it from this URL, instead of extracting the setup

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20101

Arunraj Chandrasekaran, MCTS, Author: SQLXpertise.com
    If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful"
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:46 PM