none
VBE Editor in Word 2016 crash very often RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I'm developing a quite complex Word Template that should work in Office 2007/10/13/16.

I triedy to modify it in VBE in Word 2016, and more often then not the application crashs (Not responding); no problems in previous versions of Word.

Sometime as soon as I shift to VBE, it crashs. And, I'm not sure though, it seems to crashes sometime in others simpler projects.

It seems to me a very strange behaviour and I have no idea where to start to toggle it.

Thanks for any suggestions, Lauro

Monday, March 28, 2016 8:00 AM

Answers

• Having repaired/reinstalled Word, if the problems occur :
    • only with a particular document; most likely that document is corrupt.
    • with multiple documents, but not all; most likely their template is corrupt.
    • with all documents, most likely a 3rd-party addin is causing the error.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:04 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 10:08 PM

All replies

• I assume you mean the VBA editor reachable through Alt-F11. With a new Word document, does it crash if you press Alt-F11?

Best regards, George

Monday, March 28, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Thank you George for your quick replay.

Yes, I mean the VBA editor reachable through Alt-F11 or Developer|Code|Visual Basic.

I tried with a blank doc: when I go to VBE it doesn't crash, but after a while (1 o two minutes) goes in NOT RESPONDING status. I just inserted a module, wrote a Sub with a message and moved around the Editor interface....

SOB :-(

Lauro

Monday, March 28, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:31 AM
  • What if you do the same in Excel? Also crash?

Best regards, George

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi Paul,I followed your suggestion and reinstalled Office 2016 (Office365).

I didn't have much time to try several times; it seems however that the problem is still there, but much more rarely then before.

Could it be that it doesn't really crash completely but just freeze for a very long time? I noticed that once I left the programm raannung for more then 10 minutes it resumed by itself.

Thanks, Lauro

Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:52 PM
  • I reinstalled Office 2016 (Office365).

I didn't have much time to try several times with Word and Excel;  once or twice I still got the problem with Word, with Excel I didn't get it, but I tried less.

Thanks, Lauro
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Aside from possible problems with your code itself, which we haven't seen, the only likely other problem sources are:
    • corrupt documents; and/or
    • faulty 3rd-party addins.

Running Word in Safe mode (hold down the Ctrl key while starting Word) will disable the addins. Corrupt documents can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document based on the same template (headers & footers may need to be copied separately), closing the old document and saving the new one over it. Similarly, corrupt tables can often be 'repaired' by converting the tables to text and back again or by saving the document in RTF format, closing the document then re-opening it and re-saving in the doc(x/m) format.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:26 PM
  • Hi Paul,

maybe it's my fault because I wasn't enough clair about it: the VBE crash or hang out (the not responding warning appears in the title bar) NOT WHEN I RUN a piece of code of mine, but when I'm interacting with the VBE IDE (editing the code or moving between modules, etc.),  that's why I don't think it depends from the code I'm writing. (Lunching a macro from Word itself and not from VBE works without problems.)

Since I noticed that Office 2016 is much more slow to lunch then Office 2010 and often goes in small temporary waiting mode; I imagined that the application doesn't really crashes but freeze for an anomalous long time.

thanks again, Lauro

P.S.: I will try to use the VBE in safe mode...

Friday, April 1, 2016 2:13 PM
  • Having repaired/reinstalled Word, if the problems occur :
    • only with a particular document; most likely that document is corrupt.
    • with multiple documents, but not all; most likely their template is corrupt.
    • with all documents, most likely a 3rd-party addin is causing the error.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:04 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 10:08 PM
  • For the time being I reinstalled Office 2013.

The problem disappeared. The mistery remains.

I will try to investigate the VBE problem with Office 2016 when I will have more time.

Lauro

Saturday, April 2, 2016 7:27 PM