none
reportviewer control printing two blank pages before my report prints RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble with the report viewer control.  When I print, I recieve two blank pages before my report prints.  I have set the report to width=11in and height=8.5 to print landscape.  I see many threads about this type of problem.  This is my first use of this control.  Most of the threads says check your portriat property.  I do not see this property.   Any one have a solutuion to I'm getting blank pages? 

Thanks,

Ron

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi again,

I'm an idiot, but that is besides the point.

In order to give the report landscape dimensions, you need to set the width and height in 2 places:

1) the rdlc's property panel (that way the data stays within the margins you will set for the page itself)
    2) in the Report Properties on the menu bar
    Report -> Report Properties -> Layout tab
    Friday, April 4, 2008 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

I just lost my lengthy response to your question when the connection dropped after hitting submit, so i'm going to start with the short version and if that doesn't work lmk.

First the warning: I am by no means an expert on ReportViewer so if this doesn't work or doesn't apply, don't lose hope.  It may just be that I'm talking out of my arse.

First, to my knowledge portrait and landscape would be direct functions of the printer driver (set in the print dialog).  Google would know better then I, but I just did a quick check and didn't see anything in VS2k8 that would suggest that the rdlc has that info embedded.

Second as an experiment try pulling all elements away from the boarders.  If they are a pixel over you could have problems and not even be able to see it.

Third, try decreasing your report size.  Though the paper is 8.5x11 they printer may be having issues thinking it has to print outside of its printable area.  Of course, moving your elements around, adding columns, etc. can all cause the report size to auto-increase, so make sure that the report remains its intended size.

- jordan
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:27 PM
  • are you using rectangle controls and putting objects in them?  Rectangle controls like to stay on one page, so if the object they contain expands too much (like a table), they will go to the next page.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Hi again,

I'm an idiot, but that is besides the point.

In order to give the report landscape dimensions, you need to set the width and height in 2 places:

1) the rdlc's property panel (that way the data stays within the margins you will set for the page itself)
    2) in the Report Properties on the menu bar
    Report -> Report Properties -> Layout tab
    Friday, April 4, 2008 8:01 PM