URL Rewrite; Differences in development and production environments RRS feed

• Question

• User1918367949 posted

As a web developer, the majority of my projects are websites and web applications. I develop everything on my workstation and use the 'Publish website' option to compile websites and put them on a production server. I also do a lot with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) so needless to say, I'm using the IIS Url Rewrite Extension, version 2.0 for IIS 7.5 to be exact. My development workstation is running Windows 7, and my production server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS 7.5 as its web server. This all works fine and dandy and the majority of my websites have 'search engine friendly URLs'.

Now for the problem: I can't seem to figure out how to replicate the same conditions on my development workstation! And specifically the friendly URLs part. This leads to websites being debugged / tested on my development workstation quie the hassle since the 'friendly URLs' don't work and I have to tweak around with relative and friendly URLs manually.

I enabled IIS and installed URL Rewrite on my development workstation. But it just doesn't do the trick. Visual Studio doesn't even recognize the <configuration><system.webServer><rewrite> node in the Web.Config file, saying it is invalid and underlining it with a blue line.

So, in a nutshell, I can't get URL Rewrite to work on my development station. Anyone have a clue how to get it working so that I can test / debug / run my websites, which work on my production server, and their 'friendly URLs' on my development workstation? Thanks in advance.

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:59 AM

Answers