How to extend tooltip duration.

• I cannot figure out how to extend the duration of my tooltips. I have searched the forums and have found many examples that don't work with Windows Store Apps. Has anyone had success with this?
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 12:36 AM

All replies

• The ToolTip's timeout is not configurable.

What is the scenario? Why are you trying to extend it?

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 1:25 AM
  • I don't think there is any built-in method to control the duration of a tooltip. I would create my own template on the basis of the default one and replaced FadeOutThemeAnimation with an animation of the desired duration.

You can see the default template here: 

Wiki: wbswiki.com

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 1:25 AM
  • The tooltip will give a reference page, section, subsection to a manual.  The user will be trying to find this reference in a large legal manual based on the tooltip.  But it will be super frustrating if the tooltip keeps vanishing.  I'm not sure why a tooltip needs to vanish in the first place since it does so automatically anyway when the user moves the mouse.
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 9:55 AM
  • This sounds like a push in the right direction but certainly something I have never done.  I don't see any time settings in the theme.  What is the property to add for that, GeneratedDuration maybe?

I'm not even sure how to edit the existing template.  I see an option to right click the control and then edit template.  How do I edit the template to add my own code?  I need it to apply to all the tooltips and not just individual as well.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Well I'm getting much closer.  I have added a copy of the tooltip template by right clicking in the designer and selecting edit copy of template.  It is effecting all my tooltips by choosing that option in the dialog that appears.  Now I'm just stuck trying to figure out what property to edit or add to get the delay I need.
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 11:44 AM
  • You can change how the Tooltip looks by editing its template but you cannot change how it works.

It sounds like the Tooltip isn't the right control for what you want. I'd consider using a Flyout or Popup instead. They will both provide more appropriate dismissal logic for the scenario you describe. 

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 3:00 PM
  • The user is not required to select options and the text is very short (ie. Section 16(A)(ii)).  A flyout or popup does not seem appropriate to me for such a small amount of information and no user selectable options.  The ultimate answer for me would be to be able to set tooltip duration like the old days.  Not sure why that simple option has disappeared however my solution was to create a thin 'status bar' along the bottom of my app.  Every object calls modifies it on 'GotFocus" by simply changing the text that is always displayed.  Seems like a reasonable solution for my application.

Thanks for all your help.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 9:47 PM
  • That sounds quite appropriate for a Flyout. See Displaying more info in the Guidelines for flyouts .

Thursday, June 05, 2014 1:40 AM