How can I create music streaming service using azure media services? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm still new to azure, after doing some research and testing, I found out that Azure don't support music streaming where mp3 song uploaded weren't supported.

Just wondering, is it true or is there any ways that I can deploy music streaming service something like spotify do but not that advance? I'm trying on a school based project. Thanks for the guides and I really appreciate it! 

Saturday, April 4, 2015 6:27 PM

Answers

• It really depends on what you mean in your case by "Streaming".  Is there a specific streaming protocol that you are looking to support?  Remember that "streaming" is different from just progressive download of a file from a web server.  If you are looking to just "download and play" an mp3 file, blob storage works just fine.  If you have a requirement for an actual streaming protocol like MPEG-DASH, or Apple HLS, then Azure Media Services can help. 

If you are streaming content to an iOS device that is longer than 5 minutes in duration, Apple prefers that you use their HLS protocol.   It can handle audio only streams.

For streaming in Azure Media Services, you can encode you media into a single MP4 audio file and then request the Streamig URL to play it back in either HLS or MPEG-DASH format depending on which client you are targeting. 

To play it back in MPEG-DASH, use the latest DASH.js player.

Monday, April 6, 2015 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi

I think you can use the Azure Blob Storage for streaming purposes.

Take a look at it's documentation here:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-blobs/

Regards

Aram

Saturday, April 4, 2015 7:49 PM
  • It really depends on what you mean in your case by "Streaming".  Is there a specific streaming protocol that you are looking to support?  Remember that "streaming" is different from just progressive download of a file from a web server.  If you are looking to just "download and play" an mp3 file, blob storage works just fine.  If you have a requirement for an actual streaming protocol like MPEG-DASH, or Apple HLS, then Azure Media Services can help. 

If you are streaming content to an iOS device that is longer than 5 minutes in duration, Apple prefers that you use their HLS protocol.   It can handle audio only streams.

For streaming in Azure Media Services, you can encode you media into a single MP4 audio file and then request the Streamig URL to play it back in either HLS or MPEG-DASH format depending on which client you are targeting. 

To play it back in MPEG-DASH, use the latest DASH.js player.

Monday, April 6, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Figure 1: Encode config available

Hi John, First of all, thanks for taking up your time to reply my post. As you said, I uploaded a mp4 audio file which was 2.7mb to my media service storage. The thing is, I don't think so there are any format that I can encode after all because all of them are like for video format encoding.

Nevertheless, I tried to encode the mp4 audio file and it cost me somewhere around 50mb size and I believe that it is a video file. Again, here's the thing what I'm trying to said.

Is there any further guides? Thank you!

vampire

Monday, April 6, 2015 5:18 PM
  • First, if your audio-only content is already in ISO MP4 file, you don't need to further encode/process it. You should use dynamic packaging to deliver via DASH (we don't support audio-only streaming via HLS or Smooth Streaming).

Further, I would recommend using the Azure Media Services Explorer tool (http://aka.ms/amse), which gives you access to all the features in our service, beyond what is available via Azure Management Portal

Monday, April 6, 2015 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the guides and also the media service explorer which is really helpful! I'm sorry as I still have some doubts here:

1. How can I use dynamic packaging via dash? is this the step follow: ?

2. Since my project is music streaming, how can I allow the users to enter the website and stream a list of musics that they desired? 

There's alternate way that I did which is creating a Web Application using Azure, and then get a free source web hosting page to upload the music and user just need to enter the site given to stream their favourite musics, for example, this is what I created: http://flymusic.azurewebsites.net/?p=home

How should I achieve this using media service provided in Azure? 

Thanks again for your guides!

vampire

• Edited by HTHVampire Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:04 PM