none
How to get a RNDIS INF file certified for Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are developping a windows embedded compact based device. This one have a device USB port used to communicate with using RNDIS. We have a our own vendor ID and device ID. So, I created a new INF file in order to associate the USB8023.sys driver with our device. This one work fine and pass logo testing on XP, Visa and 7.

Now, I am trying to get certification for Windows 8. I first switch to the HCK because I need to use it when testing on Windows 8.

There is the first problem I am facing. When I select the device to test in the, the HCK studio automatically recognize it as a network device and request me to pass all tests normaly associated with a LAN card. Badly, many of this test cannot be run in my setup. Exemple: All test requesting 2 computers in order to communicate using the tested network card are impossible to run. The RNDIS network card can only communicate with my device, they have no way to make them communicate with anoter test computer.

I would like to simple test it as "unclassified device", as I did on XP, Vista and 7. I tried to change "Product Type" but when choosing my device, no litle + mark appear next to "Product Type" as shown in documentation.

Any help or hint will be appreciated.

Martin

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• I face the same situation. And do you get any solution from MS?

thanks.

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:35 AM
  • Hi Martin,

I'm also facing some problems regarding RNDIS and our embedded device.

I think you are already further than me, is it possible to get in touch together?

Could you please send me your coordinates?

thanks in advance!

David

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Hi David,

After long research, I learned that we need to obtain a "logo waiver" from the logo team. In order to get that, you need to send an e-mail to logofb@microsoft.com and describe why you need a waiver.

After you explain your "case" and answer the questions the logo team would probably have for you. The logo team will decide if you can obtain a waiver or not.

If you get the waiver, you need to run all tests the HCK request you to run and send result for the passed test and the failed test as part of a submission. You also need to include a "readme.txt" file indicating you get a waiver (including some other information you will received with the weaver).

Note: The waiver will be posted on the "SysDev" dask board and you will be able to "sign it" there.

Good luck!

Martin Dubois

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:52 PM

• I am working similar issue. Do you have different inf for Win7 and XP? I just started and figured out there are RNDIS 5 and RNDIS 6 will use different inf. Is this correct?

I was told I can run WHCK 2.0 (for Winodows 8.0) on WinXP then get it signed. But I found out the WHCK studio just can't detect my XP machine. Is it trun I can run WHCK on WinXP machine?

milkfish

Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:54 PM
  • We use the same INF file on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

You can use WHCK to test on Windows 7 and Windows 8. For testing on Windows XP and Vista, you need to use WLK.

That said, if you run and pass test using WHCK on Windows 8, I think you can get your INF file signed for Windows XP and Windows 2000 without testing on these platform. When I submitted my test result, I saw check box that I think was for that purpose. I did not check it because I already passed test for XP, 7 and Vista before.

I hope this answer help you!

Good luck!

Martin Dubois

Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Thanks Martin.

Things change a little bit. Microsoft is no longer accept WKL initial submission now. If the inf actually use RNDIS5, the WHCK test on Win7/8 will failed on a NDIS version check.

Thanks,

Dick

milkfish

Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:51 PM