Deploying an MDS model to new environment with views RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to deploy MDS models to another environment (Dev to Integration and then to Production). The model and data moves across, but the views are not included. We're developing ETL to synchronize MDS views into certain application databases, so we need those views at the same time as the model is deployed.

Is there a means to automate this part of the deployment or will we have to manually recreate each subscription view?

Thanks,

Gerry Donaldson

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hello Gerry

please check my code here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlmds/thread/837b787a-f55a-4e6a-8e58-6442c6841fc2

you can import/export subscription views (with XML files and MDS API) and then you could automate the process 

Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem. _________________________________________________________ Regards, Xavier Averbouch, Consultant, Avanade France
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:41 PM
  • you mean my application ?

No, because it manages mutliple MDS Source (boxes) by changing the API Endpoint url on the UI of my app.

Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem. _________________________________________________________ Regards, Xavier Averbouch, Consultant, Avanade France
    Friday, November 19, 2010 4:24 PM
  • in fact you have to select your source mds endpoint, export sub views (C:\)

then,  change the endpoint to the mds destinationendpoint, select your model where to import sub views to

and then click on the green arrow to import , select the sub views you previously saved in C:\ and that's done

don't forget to select Version/Flag as needed

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Gerry

please check my code here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlmds/thread/837b787a-f55a-4e6a-8e58-6442c6841fc2

you can import/export subscription views (with XML files and MDS API) and then you could automate the process 

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Does this have to be deployed to each MDS box?

Thanks,

Gerry Donaldson

Friday, November 19, 2010 4:18 PM
  • you mean my application ?

No, because it manages mutliple MDS Source (boxes) by changing the API Endpoint url on the UI of my app.

Friday, November 19, 2010 4:24 PM
  • The code that I downloaded doesn't have the endpoint url. Can you send the link to that version?

Thanks,

Gerry

Friday, November 19, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Let me try this again. I got the newest version compiled and pointed to the endpoint. Now everything shows up as expected.

When exporting Subscription Views, I'm not prompted to save the file to move to the other environments. Can you walk me through that process and I should be good from there.

Thanks,

Gerry

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:00 PM
  • this is a beta version

the subscription view files are saved in C:\

I will soon upgrade this version on codeplex

when you import back you'll find the sub.views in C:\

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:08 PM
  • in fact you have to select your source mds endpoint, export sub views (C:\)

then,  change the endpoint to the mds destinationendpoint, select your model where to import sub views to

and then click on the green arrow to import , select the sub views you previously saved in C:\ and that's done

don't forget to select Version/Flag as needed

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:20 AM