none
Error code: 0xe0434f4d

Question

• Hey,

I am using .net Framework 3.0 at home, and my program works successfully, no problems to launch.

However at my school where they are using .net Framework 2.0 it fails to launch

Here is a screenshot:

Here is my Program.cs

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace FilmScript
    {
        static class Program
        {
            public static Form1 form = null;
            public static newProject newProj = null;

public static String ProjectTitle = String.Empty;
            public static String ProjectAlreadyLoaded = "NO";
            /// <summary>
            /// The main entry point for the application.
            /// </summary>
            [STAThread]
            static void Main()
            {
                Application.EnableVisualStyles();
                Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(false);

form = new Form1();
                newProj = new newProject();
                Application.Run(form);
            }
        }
    }

I do not know why this is happening, as I have no code that could trigger a system exception, I use System.IO and XML read and saving, but do not know if that is also causing the error.

If you believe this might be the cause I will be happen to share that code with you.

Many Thanks

Andrew Swallow

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:39 AM

Answers

• Default .Net security does not allow you to run .Net programs directly from a network share (this is a Good Thing).

Normally, you have to copy a .Net program to a local drive before you can run it. However, in your case this looks like it is not possible.

One way around it is to change the local machines security policy to allow .Net programs to run from a network drive.

(From Control Panel|Administrative Tools -> .Net Framework 2.0 Configuration, and it's somewhere in there...)
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:55 AM

All replies

• You're not running it from a file on the network are you, by any chance?

If so, try copying it to a local drive and run it from there.
    Wednesday, January 24, 2007 10:06 AM
  • It runs off a drive called H:\

So yes it is a Network Drive as the letter is H on whatever logon you are on, but shows files depending on your logon.

With my current logon I cannot access a Local Drive. I may talk to the network adminstrators to see if they can test for me.

Thanks

Anderw

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:38 AM
  • Default .Net security does not allow you to run .Net programs directly from a network share (this is a Good Thing).

Normally, you have to copy a .Net program to a local drive before you can run it. However, in your case this looks like it is not possible.

One way around it is to change the local machines security policy to allow .Net programs to run from a network drive.

(From Control Panel|Administrative Tools -> .Net Framework 2.0 Configuration, and it's somewhere in there...)
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:55 AM
  • Thank you Matthew for this information.

In the documentary I will have to state this in case my customers are running off a Network Drive.

Andrew

Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:33 PM
  • The answer the question of the message title:

In ASCII, 43 4F 4D translates to "COM".  So, E0434F4D was chosen as the error for for "Exception from a COM object"

• Proposed as answer by ohnobinki Friday, October 11, 2013 6:21 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Hello

I have just remembered that another of my programs, has successfully launched from the network drive I am running off, and still does.

I am sure I have compiled the same as before, however on my new project, "Scripter Plus", it pops up before asking if I want to run the program due to an "Unknown Publisher".

Also, running the program again, I noticed that on my previous screenshot it mentions P9 : System.Security.Security

However now it states P9 : n3ctrye2kn3c34sgl4zqyrbfte4m13nb  but still the same error code.

So knowing this other information about a previous problem, I have doubts that is is because it is running off the internet.

Thanks

Andrew

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:13 AM
  • Here's some more info about .Net security and running from a network drive:

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnfa/archive/2003/06/20/57023.aspx
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:30 AM
  • I started seeing the error code 0xe0434f4d in a small command line program I was using to shutdown a service during a complex installation.  The problem was perplexing since I did not see it on my development system at any point but only when I moved it to a target system. The error appeared as an application crash with little info except this error code. The application and related libraries have a lot of exception handling, so I was surprised the exception was not being caught. Fortunately we have a custom installer which captures the error and output streams of the commend line where I could see the following:

Runner | 18:45:33 |    Errors | Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'SystemProxyCmd.Program' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SystemProxy, Version=1.0.0.33, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e0d752d8dc60da9d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    Runner | 18:45:33 |    Errors | File name: 'SystemProxy, Version=1.0.0.33, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e0d752d8dc60da9d'
    Runner | 18:45:33 |    Errors |    at SystemProxyCmd.Program..cctor()

Our installer stages the installation files to a local disk in a separate thread. Any command in the install script will wait for a file to be staged before it starts to run. But it does not check for dependencies. In this case the command line program is started before a dll on which it depends is copied to the local disk. The error occurs because the system cannot load the required dll file.

If you are seeing this exit code and find this thread, you may want to make sure all required dll's are available to load on your target system.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I am writing this because someone else might come to this page looking for error code: 0xe0434f4d

I came to this page looking for a solution for "VS 2015 Update 1" installer's appcrash issue with the above mentioned error code: 0xe0434f4d.

VS 2015 Pro was already installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 and I was trying to update it to Update 1.

I performed windows update, disabled UAC only to figure out that VS 2015 Update installer crashed every time because .NET Framework 3.5 was not installed (enabled). I have to go to "add remove programmes" via appwiz.cpl (you can go from Control Panel) and click on "Turn on or Off Windows Components" which invoked "Server Manager" from where I had to go to "Features" and click on "Add Features" and checked ".NET Framework 3.5" and click Next until Finish.

Had to restart the machine after which "VS 2015 Update 1" installer ran successfully without crashing.

Hope that this helps someone with similar issue.

~~ A man's dreams are an index to his Greatness ~~

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 3:18 PM