none
Building Windows 7 targets using the Windows 10 WDK RRS feed

• Question

• Forgive what may seem a stupid question, but what do I need to install to build drivers for Windows 7 using the Windows 10 WDK and Visual Studio 2015?  Do I need to install the Windows 7 WDK separately?  The Windows 10 WDK also installed the Windows 8.1 WDK and I see Windows 8.1 driver targets in the UI.  But I was also expecting Windows 7 targets to be supported based on Microsoft's online documentation (and some googling for "Windows 10 WDK" and "Windows 7 drivers").  But Windows 7 doesn't appear to be supported by default. 
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 3:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Take a look at https://www.osr.com/nt-insider/2015-issue2/windows-10-wdk-visual-studio-2015/  The specification of the windows version has changed to Platform Toolset under Configuration Properties / General

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Sunday, October 11, 2015 4:02 PM
  • Thanks for responding.  I completely missed the "Driver Settings" section.  My next problem is that the "Additional Include Directories"  that I specify in the C/C++ section don't have any effect.  I want to specify ..\include in order to include some code that is shared by several related driver projects.  But that has no effect on the compiler.  What is worse, the editor also is unable to find the include files  and when I add a driver project to a solution that already has working user mode projects, the user mode projects stop working properly.  The OSR article recommends creating creating the driver project in Visual Studio 2013 and then NOT allowing the upgrade to VS2015.  I am beginning to see why.
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:14 PM
  • The VS2015 driver wizard produces a WDM driver project file without a certain <ClCompile>  section and without this section additional include files specified by the user have no effect.  You can edit the project file by hand to supply the missing macro definitions.  But using VS2013 to create the driver project and then migrating to VS2015 is easier and produces a nicer result.  As a side benefit, nmake2msbuild shows up in the VS2015 UI after installing VS2013 and the Windows 8.1 WDK.  The downside is that you have to install 9 gigabytes (not including the WDK) just to get a working driver template wizard and the ability to convert driver projects that use the old build system.  I am still struggling to see the value in VS2015 and the Windows 10 WDK.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 3:07 AM
  • It is RTM.  Silly me for installing a Microsoft product before SP1!  I have had too many bad experiences installing pre-release versions of Visual Studio that rendered my dev environment inoperable when uninstalled.  In any event, the problem is not with Visual Studio but with the Windows 10 WDK.  It is quite a powerful build system if you don't mind writing your project files by hand.  Doron posted a link about 3 years ago to the "Inside the Microsoft Build Engine" book. I think that I am going to have to get a copy of that.  I was just hoping to be able to focus on writing code and not have to worry about the project files.
    Monday, October 12, 2015 1:20 PM