none
My application silently aborts on Windows XP when .NET 4 functions are called RRS feed

• Question

• This problem seems to happen only on WIndows XP SP 3 systems.  Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems do not experience this problem.

So far I've found that when my application invokes any of the following functions it closes, with no error messages.

FolderBrowser.ShowDialog(), pDialog.ShowDialog() or ProgressBar2.Visible = True

I'm distributing : vcredist_x86.exe, dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe, AccessDatabaseEngine.exe and CRRuntime_32bit_13_0.msi.

But there must be something lacking on these target Windows XP systems.

Does anyone have an idea what is missing?

Thanks

Dale Roedger

• Edited by DaleRoedger Friday, January 6, 2012 5:22 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Dale,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I am not sure, but I recommend you consult with the support of Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/support/

Also, you can test your application on a Windows XP Service Pack 3 machine with .NET Framework 4 installed instead of any virtual machine to check if you can run it normally or not. If everything is ok, I think this problem is related to the environment.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Alexander,

Thank-you so much.  After a few go 'rounds with the Parallels support team, I finally got an answer which invloved reconfiguring the Parallels Virtual Machine and removing / re-installing the .NET Framework 4 then removing / re-installing my application.

Now all failing functions work properly.

Without your suggestion and link I'd still be trying to figure this out.

Dale

Dale Roedger
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:33 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:46 PM

All replies

• I thought that the problem might be that the computer didn't have earlier .NET Frameworks but that wasn't the case.

The failing system has:  .NET Framework:  2.0 SP2; 3.0 SP2; 3.5 SP1; 4 Client and 4 Extended

Another Windows XP system has the same Frameworks and all functions like:

Folder.Browser.ShowDialog(); pDialog.ShowDialog();  and ProgressBar2.Visible = True

work correctly.

Any ideas on the problem?

Thanks

Dale Roedger
    Friday, January 6, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I recommend you use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the .NET Frameworks you have: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If all the .NET Framework have been verified successfully, it means this problem is not related to .NET Framework Setup and deployment.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Monday, January 9, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Thanks for the information, I ran the Verification Tool on the customer's computer, all installed versions of .NET were okay.

One other interesting thing about this issue:  It seems to happen only on Mac computers running windows XP under Parallels.  When we connect to their computer using Rescue Gateway the program works fine.  They can even exit from the program and run it again after we've disconnected and everything is okay until the restart Windows.

Does this give you any ideas on how I might proceed?

Thanks,

Dale Roedger
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I am not sure, but I recommend you consult with the support of Parallels: http://www.parallels.com/support/

Also, you can test your application on a Windows XP Service Pack 3 machine with .NET Framework 4 installed instead of any virtual machine to check if you can run it normally or not. If everything is ok, I think this problem is related to the environment.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Alexander,

Thank-you so much.  After a few go 'rounds with the Parallels support team, I finally got an answer which invloved reconfiguring the Parallels Virtual Machine and removing / re-installing the .NET Framework 4 then removing / re-installing my application.

Now all failing functions work properly.

Without your suggestion and link I'd still be trying to figure this out.

Dale

Dale Roedger
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:33 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:46 PM