Visual Studio SDK and Visual Studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

with the pretty ready release of Visual Studio 2010 Beta I asked myself how Visual Studio SDK and Visual Studio Extensibility will approach with the new IDE.

There will be compatibility between works develloped with Visual Studio SDK 2008 and Visual Studio 2010?
    There will be a new Visual Studio SDK 2010 ?
    There will be a different approach to Extensibility (expecially with WPF) ?

These are just few questions about this argument, so any news, links, resources about that are really welcome! ;)

I've also open a new thread in Visual Studio Extensibility Forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsx/thread/5d1c5b88-169e-414c-88e6-99a0221815e2

Thanks,
    - Matteo Garzulino -
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Matteo,

Yes, there will be a Visual Studio 2010 SDK released very close to the VS 2010 Beta (which becomes publicly available tomorrow - more info here).  The official date hasn't been announced, but the SDK will be available very soon, and I'll post again here with download information.

As far as compatibility:  there may be some work required to migrate extensions and packages developed with the VS 2008 SDK to VS 2010.  The amount of time required will vary by extension, but you will certainly be able to port extensions to VS 2010 without changing the majority of your code.

I specialize in the Visual Studio 2010 Editor, so my comments on the approach to extensibility are based largely on editor extensibility.  Yes, there is an updated approach to extensibility, especially with WPF.  The editor and shell in particular have been completely rewritten in WPF, which enables a lot of new potential, especially for visual extensions.  WPF allows for much richer visualizations in general, which means developers can now use WPF concepts, interfaces, etc. to create the look they want and then use a handful of Visual Studio extension points to integrate their WPF visuals into VS.  The samples in the VS 2010 SDK will include several on using WPF to create editor (and other) extensions, so I'd encourage you to download the SDK when it becomes available - again, I'll post more info here when it's released.

Thanks for posting - hope this helps!

Brittany Behrens
    Program Manager, VS Platform
    http://blogs.msdn.com/vseditor
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Matteo,

Yes, there will be a Visual Studio 2010 SDK released very close to the VS 2010 Beta (which becomes publicly available tomorrow - more info here).  The official date hasn't been announced, but the SDK will be available very soon, and I'll post again here with download information.

As far as compatibility:  there may be some work required to migrate extensions and packages developed with the VS 2008 SDK to VS 2010.  The amount of time required will vary by extension, but you will certainly be able to port extensions to VS 2010 without changing the majority of your code.

I specialize in the Visual Studio 2010 Editor, so my comments on the approach to extensibility are based largely on editor extensibility.  Yes, there is an updated approach to extensibility, especially with WPF.  The editor and shell in particular have been completely rewritten in WPF, which enables a lot of new potential, especially for visual extensions.  WPF allows for much richer visualizations in general, which means developers can now use WPF concepts, interfaces, etc. to create the look they want and then use a handful of Visual Studio extension points to integrate their WPF visuals into VS.  The samples in the VS 2010 SDK will include several on using WPF to create editor (and other) extensions, so I'd encourage you to download the SDK when it becomes available - again, I'll post more info here when it's released.

Thanks for posting - hope this helps!

Brittany Behrens
    Program Manager, VS Platform
    http://blogs.msdn.com/vseditor
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Thanks Brittany, your reply is very helpful!

Since I'm implementing a custom editor (WYSIWYG editor similar to WindowsForms/WPF Editor), I'm also particulary interested in editors' new approaches.

So in Visual Studio 2010, among other features, will be possible to implement custom editor using WPF components ? Did I understand correctly?

Another question:

Will be released in .NET 4.0 WPF components to implement custom editors (like Windows Form System.ComponentModel.* namespace) ?

We'll be waiting for news about VS2010 SDK availability!

Thanks again!
    - Matteo Garzulino -
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:40 AM