Narrator uses the wrong pronounciation for non-localized app RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to make an application accessible to as many people as possible. The application is connecting to a web service providing a lot of content, but the content is only available in English (it's Dungeons & Dragons Insider, for those in the know). A lot of people abroad use this content, despite it not being translated.

When I am in a PC configured in German, despite the fact that the app has a default language of "en-US", the narrator

1. Speaks in German (correct)
    2. Pronounces all content as if they were German words (incorrect, very funny but completely not understandable. Germans will be confused, they expect an American accent and trust me, you don't want "burst" to be pronounced almost the same way as "sausage").

Is there any way for me to tell the app to read text as if it were English?

Thanks in advance!

Goblin Dice Roller for your RPG games!

Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I will submit this as a "feature request" to our dev team.

And again, thank you for supporting our Windows Store app dev forum.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Goblin,

I tried to read something by using Narrator on my App, and it works fine, so let's see if my experience will give you some hint.

My default language is English(en-US), and I download the Chinese voice package to support the Narrator, after the installation, I press Win+Enter to open the Narrator windows and under "Voice" I choose the voice for Narrator, there are three defalut options: David, Hazel, Zira (All of them can only speak English, so they will only pick english words to read). You should choose the different one which can support German. And the last step is to run the app, mouse hover the text, then you will be able to hear the correct pronunciation for the Chinese words.

I cannot test German because I don't know it, but from your desciption, it seems you want the Narrator to read Genman from English words, it confused me.

By the way, I will move the thread to Tools for Windows Store app. And if this issue is not resolved, personally I don't this Window Store App Dev forum will help you a lot, instead you can try this one.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:57 AM
  • Thanks for redirecting me to another forum but I need to clarify:

I want the narrator to speak german when saying for example "X Window got focus" or "you hit spacebar". And that it does. But I also want it, when reading English text (basically anything in my app), to pronounce it as in English - right now it pronounces it as if it was German (ie complete nonsense).

So I want it to say "Diplomacy +3 [English], 3 out of 5 [German]" - the 3 out of 5 is the typical text when you navigate lists.

That's why I think this is the correct thread: it's not a Windows 8 general issue, it's not about configuring the narrator on the client machine. It's about the app telling the narrator "my content is in English". So it should be a locale-management thing in the app.

• Edited by noise goblin Monday, August 19, 2013 7:39 AM actually it shouldn't be moved
    Monday, August 19, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for explain me the scenario and I'm trying to find if there are some solutions for you.

And I agree this is not a general win8 issue.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Thanks! If not possible, then it would be an interesting suggestion for a future version of WinRT?

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:01 AM
  • A few things:

The narrator can only make use of the languages which the user has installed on their machine. The text to speech language will have one or more voices from which the user can choose. My current voice for narrator is Microsoft David , he only speaks English so " Kanst du Deutsch sprachen" will be somewhat mangled.

If you look at the text to speech documentation you will see that you can check for installed voices and change to another voice when necessary, so you could change to a German or English voice when necessary and have the text spoken correctly, of course this will only work if that voice is installed. You could ask your users to install the required voices and provide a download link.

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Thanks, but that's not what I want. The end user has the proper voices installed in general. It's that I want friction-free switching between English (when reading the app's content) and German (for everything else, including app navigation etc), without user intervention - after all the app knows the language of its contents so it should be able to inform the narrator about that, but I don't know how.

I don't want to tell the user to switch completely to English (which is installed by default) - that's something most people with seeing problems will already know how to do (they will have faced that problem with other apps), and it's also quite unsettling (the moment you'd switch from the app to a the narrator's window, which remains in German, it'll start pronouncing everything wrong - it's not "somewhat mangled", it's complete nonsense).

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hi noise goblin,

I worked for this issue for a whold afternoon, and I'd like to share with you my solution.

For win8 we do not have such feature, and you could implement your idea by some web-based TTS service, here is a tutorial for you:http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/435434/Text-to-Speech-tts-for-the-Web.

Meanwhile a good news for us is in win8.1 we have a new feature named SpeechSynthesizer which is based on Windows Speech Platform. By this you can access into the speech engine, and it allows you to set language by setting Voice() paramater, which means you would be able to swich from Genman to English or from English to Genman.

Hope the information I provide can help you.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying you must ask the user to change languages, but that based on the scenario you change the voice programatically as Jamles is pointing out. However this will only work if the user has that voice installed, so you would still have to check their installed languages and prompt them to install the English language pack if not present.
    Monday, August 19, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Thanks for your responses. As far as I understand, there's no way to do what I want.

Programmatically calling Speech Synthesizer in this case is impossible: the narrator will try nevertheless to say the name of the field - there's no way to coordinate the Narrator with Speech Synthesizer (I mean, how would I know that "oh yes, at this moment the narrator is calling the ToString on the selected item and I'll have to tell it to change Voice BUT revert to its previous voice whenever it wants to say anything else").

Thanks for your research, though! Is there any way we can forward to the WinRT team the request? For me the most natural would be to have an inherited xaml property AutomationProperties.Language that I can set either on the specific controls or at a higher level in the XAML hierarchy. If present, the narrator will try to switch to a voice appropriate for this language when reading the contents of those XAML controls (if one is installed) - or prompt the user to install the appropriate voice.

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:03 PM
  • I'll post this here (it applies to both desktop and metro apps): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=windowsaccessibilityandautomation

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

I will submit this as a "feature request" to our dev team.

And again, thank you for supporting our Windows Store app dev forum.

Best Regards,

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Thanks :). I described it in detail in the aforementioned sub-forum, so the feature request will be simpler to write :).

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Download whatever language it is you're trying to get narrator to pronounce right.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:06 PM
  • You don't seem to have read the thread. I have all languages downloaded. The difficult thing is that I have text in both languages in the same page and xaml doesn't offer the same options as html to tell the narrator which language to use per text block.

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:50 AM