none
test error: "Target device is an external device that is not behind an XHCI controller" RRS feed

• Question

• This error occurs with "USB Hardware Verifier Test For Devices (XHCI).

Researching the XHCI controller, I came up with:

"For the topology test, will need EHCI and xHCI, SuperSpeed hub, High speed hub, and full speed hub.For xHCI, we recommend Renesas 200, 200A, 201/202 or Fresco Logic 1009, 1100. For USB 3 hub, there are none certified on the market since USB-IF has not started the certification program yet, but you can use the following hub: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=253820&clcid=0x409"

at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn251523%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Following the link there takes me to a hardware controller that nobody has available. Some comments elsewhere mentioned updating playlists, but as far as I know I already have the most recent.

Anyone know how to get past this without doing something that would cause me to have to restart two days worth of tests still running?

Attached is a screenshot of the test error.

Thanks,

Tim

• Edited by TimConnect Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

If you have USB3.0 ports in your test PC, then please connect your device into that USB3.0 port and re run the test.

Thanks,

Arpo

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Thanks Arpo Adhikari,

I will give that a try, but is this a test that is required even if driver is built initially to the USB 1.1 spec?

Thanks,

Tim

Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:29 AM
  • I just had another thought. Since my device was built under the USB spec. 1.1 many years ago, and based on the backward compatibility requirement of the USB spec still now, it seems as though it's up to the USB3.0 port to deal well with my 1.1 spec device instead of the other way around.
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Tim,

Our device also does not have USB3.0 support but we need to connect the device to USB3.0 port to pass this test.

Friday, May 13, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi Arpo,

It doesn't seem right but it's seeming more and more that is what I'll be needing to do.

Thanks for taking the time to follow up with more info.

- Tim

Friday, May 13, 2016 11:27 AM