none
Read data from an Excel file which is located in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• How can I write a Word document macro, which will read data in an Excel file but this Excel file is located on a SharePoint location (and the URL path is such as http://Domain/Department/default.aspx?RootFolder=%2fDepartment%2fDocument%20Library%2fRequired%20Information2013&View=%7bJE73UD85B%2dJE6639JG%2dHJF7837%7d) 

An example would be really helpful. 

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:50 AM

All replies

• Not possible. You cannot automating the Excel which is in SharePoint.
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Hi Howie,

No, I do not want to automate excel file in the sharepoint. I just want to read the excel file which is located in a SharePoint location.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:45 PM
  • I don't know how to access files that are on SharePoint (permissions, etc.). You might have to follow-up on this in a forum that specializes in SharePoint in order to find out if/how it's possible.

What I can tell you is that it would require you to either make an OLE DB connection to the file in order to access it as a data source. Or you'd need tools that would allow you to work directly with the Office Open XML file format (I'm assuming this is an xlsx or xlsm file, not a xls).

Assuming it is possible for you to access the file on ShaprePoint, for both approaches it would probably be best to ask in the Excel for Developers forum as they'll have the best information for an OLE DB connection's connection strings and querying procedures. They'd also have the best information on the internal Open XML file formats and how to work with them.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:21 PM