none
How to insert a records in Azure database B when a record is created in Azure database A RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two separate Azure SLQ server instances each with a (separate) SQL server database. When I create a record in table "Address" in database A, I want to create a record in a table "Address" on database B, but am stuck.

I have checked out the "Replication" feature of SQL Server (on premise), but Azure doesn't offer it. I've also checked the "Sync" settings in the old Azure portal but I cannot add any filters on data and don't want data to be removed in B when it is removed in A.

Lastly I've checked the "External Resources" documentation and the elastic query feature, but found out that database A can only read in database B and not write anything. 

I might need to somehow link the servers, but am totaly lost in the documentation.

Can someone provide me with pointers on how to grant a database A user permission to write something to database B? If I have these permissions I can figure out how to write a trigger to sync the data I need.

Hope someone out there is able to help me!

Kind regards,

Matthijs

Monday, August 1, 2016 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Matthijs,

Can you also kindly help us understand what is the uber intent of this exercise and what kind of SLA and goals that you have here as that would help us in suggesting you better. For example:

1. Are you just trying to create a backup DB here? 

2. How much is the time window within which a new entry in the first DB should show up in the second DB?

3. Does the data in the first DB always have a time notion (say timestamp) associated with it?

4. Is it always new entries in the first DB or can there be updates to the existing records as well?

Thanks, Harish

Monday, August 1, 2016 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi M-Philip,

Are you using Azure SQL Database  or Azure SQL Data Warehouse?

-Casey

Monday, August 1, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Hi Matthijs,

Can you also kindly help us understand what is the uber intent of this exercise and what kind of SLA and goals that you have here as that would help us in suggesting you better. For example:

1. Are you just trying to create a backup DB here? 

2. How much is the time window within which a new entry in the first DB should show up in the second DB?

3. Does the data in the first DB always have a time notion (say timestamp) associated with it?

4. Is it always new entries in the first DB or can there be updates to the existing records as well?

Thanks, Harish

Monday, August 1, 2016 10:26 PM